Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M3Stang

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
Hey all, I have had my 13" M1 MBP since summer 2021. Use it almost every day. I have been using it more and more as a desktop lately as I have purchased a nice dock for it that has ethernet, HDMI, several USBs, and Charging all together. I notice that lately (like the last year or so) my external mouse is randomly super choppy. Like my mouse needs to move several inches for it to register and then it jumps all around the screen. If I use the trackpad at the same time, it's totally smooth. This issue also occurs if I plug the mouse directly into the other free USB C port with an Apple USB adapter. This mouse is setup on a KVM switch with my gaming PC. The mouse has 0 issues on there, it is an issue I only see on the MacBook Pro with the identical external setup. I have checked RAM usage when it does this, and it's only around 6 GB in use (this was the base model M1 with 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD). It randomly does it while web browsing, gaming, using GarageBand, no matter what it just happens. I know it's not my mouse, nor my KVM switch as I also have a windows laptop I use the same KVM on and its perfect. I also know its not the dock as I have isolated the mouse from it (unless by being plugged in its causing problems, but I have not validated that and probably should now that I am think about it). Is there some kind of silly setting somewhere/anyone else been experiencing this? I have been wanting to purchase a 14" MacBook Pro (base model) since they regularly go on sale for $1750 and Best Buy will give me $500 for mine. Would really like to use the additional horsepower, and external display ability, but if spending that money is going to leave my mouse in the same state (if its Mac OS related) that would be pretty disappointing. :( Thanks for any input/suggestions!

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Works at the exact same setup with 2 other Windows comptuers.

I read turning off the shake to find could fix it. I will give that a try.

M1 Macs are known to have BT wireless interference issues. This wireless dongle likely runs at a similar frequency.

Reactions: M3Stang

M3Stang

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
M1 Macs are known to have BT wireless interference issues. This wireless dongle likely runs at a similar frequency.
Hmm good to know. The Mac is typically on next to my gaming PC streaming music or something 80% of the time. I wonder if I would notice that same phenomenon in that case.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you're using bluetooth to connect the mouse, stop.
If there's a Logitech "unifying receiver", THAT's what you want to use.

Or, just plug it in DIRECTLY to a Mac USB port (if it can connect via USB).

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I'm using a Logitech mouse (G305) with a unifying receiver with my M1 iMac and 98% of the time it works perfectly. I have the receiver plugged into a USB hub on the back of the iMac (can't plug it in directly because somehow in the year 2023 Logitech still does not make a USB-C unifying receiver!)

Anyway, sometimes for seemingly no reason it will start skipping around on screen really badly, so I turn the mouse off and on, and unplug/replug the unifying receiver. That usually gets it working fine again. Not sure if it's some momentary interference or what.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
If you're using bluetooth to connect the mouse, stop.
If there's a Logitech "unifying receiver", THAT's what you want to use.

Or, just plug it in DIRECTLY to a Mac USB port (if it can connect via USB).
Hard to do these days, since they somehow don't make one with USB-C.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009

M3Stang

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
I do use the receiver. Its plugged into my KVM switch which switches between my Gaming PC, my work laptop (Windows) and my MacBook Pro.

M3Stang

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
Figured I would update. It was my KVM switch. If I plugged my receiver directly into my Mac it worked fine. Must be some sort of incompatibility with my Gigabyte Monitor's built in KVM and MacOS. Works flawless on Windows. I bought a Magic Mouse since having to grab the receiver from behind the monitor (and take up an addl USB port) was annoying. It's great too because I can go back and forth with it and everything. My Logitech mouse doesn't work by default on MacOS as far as button mapping like it does on Windows and the Logitech software is junk, so I found a way around that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.