13" Macbook 2.8ghz i7 vs 2.6ghz i5

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MN7119, Oct 28, 2013.

1. MN7119 macrumors regular

I ordered the new 13" Macbook with 2.8Ghz processor and 16GB RAM and I am now wondering if I made the right choice. Question here is not about cost but about pros and cons of having a more powerful processor. Will it heat up the computer more than the 2.6ghz? How about battery life?

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I had ordered the 13-inch rMBP with 8GB RAM, and realized that was a mistake. I think you made a good call.

I wouldn't worry too much about it as the battery life seems to exceed Apple's 9 hour estimate, so you won't really be losing anything. And the i7 should not run hotter under a light workload, and the battery life difference should be minimal. But under medium/heavy workloads, yeah I'm sure the i7 gets hotter and burns through the battery more quickly.

From what I've read, there is a bigger difference between the 2.4 and 2.6 i5 processors. The i7 really only has the higher clock speed and an extra MB in caching. But you've already ordered, so I would test it out for a few days first. I think you're fine, though.

3. MN7119 thread starter macrumors regular

Tks for the quick reply. I was stuck with a 2006 white macbook so wanted to upgrade and get a machine that will last couple years. I know I got way more machine than i will need but i am ok with that. Just not sure if it was a mistake to go higher on processor. I just got the machine delivered today so i will check it out when I get home tonight.

4. djb4902 macrumors newbie

Battery Life

I just traded my MBA 11in for a MBP Retina 13in with 16GB, 2.8Ghz and !Tbit storage. I am very disappointed to see that fully charged my battery reading only shows approx 6 hrs with only this web site open! This is not the approx 9hrs I was expecting but wondered if the upgraded RAM and processor might be the cause - any thoughts?