Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I definitely wouldn't buy one at $999 because it's a doomed product with a comparatively poor display. So that's about what it's worth now, Apple just doesn't lower the price on aging hardware as they should.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
It's probably the pre 2016 version. with i5/4gb/128gb.

I'd say $799 is a a very good deal if it suits your need.
[doublepost=1467227499][/doublepost]
I definitely wouldn't buy one at $999 because it's a doomed product with a comparatively poor display. So that's about what it's worth now, Apple just doesn't lower the price on aging hardware as they should.
The hardware is by no means aged.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
The display panel is basically 2010 hardware, older than the recently-discontinued Thunderbolt Display. Its definitely not the worst on the market, but I would call it aged and not worthy of the price point.
Ok.
The display is a bit aged.
But the rest is actually still ahead of it's time, especially the pcie ssd and trackpad.

Juggar

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2016
It's probably the pre 2016 version. with i5/4gb/128gb.

I'd say $799 is a a very good deal if it suits your need.
[doublepost=1467227499][/doublepost]The hardware is by no means aged.

No, its the 2016 8gb model, instead of speculating and misinforming you could have simply clicked on the link.

Reactions: Meister

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Ok.
The display is a bit aged.
But the rest is actually still ahead of it's time, especially the pcie ssd and trackpad.
Sure it has certain strengths that add up to make it worthy of $799, but it's a compromised Mac and simply not worthy of $999 unless it's given a decent display or at the very least the latest Skylake chips and a Force Touch trackpad. The first Retina display on a Mac was released 4 years ago, I honestly would have expected it to be standard by now yet the Air continues to exist without it.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Sure it has certain strengths that add up to make it worthy of $799, but it's a compromised Mac and simply not worthy of $999 unless it's given a decent display or at the very least the latest Skylake chips and a Force Touch trackpad. The first Retina display on a Mac was released 4 years ago, I honestly would have expected it to be standard by now yet the Air continues to exist without it.
The tn panel has less latency, less lag and uses less power.

You also pay the :apple:tax for the OS and service experience.

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016

To me, this computer exemplifies ultrabook. And yeah, I totally get the argument for the horrible screen. But it's bearable, and it's one of the reasons why this guy packs 12-14 hours of battery.

nnyymm

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2010
Singapore
Yep, it's somewhat a 900p monitor actually.:p The TN panel has a higher than average viewing angles too.

But if you want to compare the price you are paying, it's definitely not worth it at full price because you can get a Windows's with 1080p with much lesser battery life.

Reactions: darrylsvochak

semihat

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2016

When I work on my Mac, I'm saving thousands of dollars of my time (maybe more) since i don't deal with an operating system that randomly crashes and loses my work from time to time. It's a no brainer for me to pay a little extra for that experience and t's not much of a problem for me if the hardware is a generation behind if it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.