13" Macbook Air - $799 new ($300 off)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by braundiggity, Jun 29, 2016.

1. braundiggity macrumors newbie

eBay's got brand new Macbook Air's for $300 (27%) off, $799 instead of $1100. I'm probably picking up a Macbook Pro instead, but this is tempting...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172256834338

2. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

I definitely wouldn't buy one at $999 because it's a doomed product with a comparatively poor display. So that's about what it's worth now, Apple just doesn't lower the price on aging hardware as they should.

3. Meister Suspended

Meister

It's probably the pre 2016 version. with i5/4gb/128gb.

I'd say $799 is a a very good deal if it suits your need.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 29, 2016 ---
    The hardware is by no means aged.

4. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

The display panel is basically 2010 hardware, older than the recently-discontinued Thunderbolt Display. Its definitely not the worst on the market, but I would call it aged and not worthy of the price point.

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

Ok.
    The display is a bit aged.
    But the rest is actually still ahead of it's time, especially the pcie ssd and trackpad.

6. Juggar macrumors member

Juggar

No, its the 2016 8gb model, instead of speculating and misinforming you could have simply clicked on the link.

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

You are right. My bad.
    That makes it a really good deal.

8. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

Sure it has certain strengths that add up to make it worthy of $799, but it's a compromised Mac and simply not worthy of $999 unless it's given a decent display or at the very least the latest Skylake chips and a Force Touch trackpad. The first Retina display on a Mac was released 4 years ago, I honestly would have expected it to be standard by now yet the Air continues to exist without it.

9. Meister Suspended

Meister

The tn panel has less latency, less lag and uses less power.

You also pay the :apple:tax for the OS and service experience.

10. kevinkyoo macrumors 6502a

kevinkyoo

To me, this computer exemplifies ultrabook. And yeah, I totally get the argument for the horrible screen. But it's bearable, and it's one of the reasons why this guy packs 12-14 hours of battery.

11. Wackery macrumors 6502a

the screen is not that bad, it's still HD quality.

12. nnyymm macrumors regular

Yep, it's somewhat a 900p monitor actually.:p The TN panel has a higher than average viewing angles too.

But if you want to compare the price you are paying, it's definitely not worth it at full price because you can get a Windows's with 1080p with much lesser battery life.

13. semihat macrumors member

When I work on my Mac, I'm saving thousands of dollars of my time (maybe more) since i don't deal with an operating system that randomly crashes and loses my work from time to time. It's a no brainer for me to pay a little extra for that experience and t's not much of a problem for me if the hardware is a generation behind if it works.