13" Macbook Air A1237 Mic Not working! Need help!

neorambo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2011
Ok, I need the expertise of you guys to help me figure this out.

I bought this macbook air a year ago with broken hinges. I fixed the hinges, and when I would boot into snow leopard the wifi and mic wasn't working. So I purchased osx Lion for it and installed that. This fixed the wifi but I couldn't get the mic to come on. So I inspected the Mic wire that goes through the hinge and noticed that it was cut a bit so I purchased the cable and replaced that and that didn't fix it.

- went into sound settings and messed with that
- went into Midi settings and changed the input to 48k, 44k, 98k and still nothing
- I did the Option, P, and R keys reset and it didn't help
- Reinstalled the OS to a clean partitioned and formatted drive
- bought a mic and replaced that to see if that helps and still nothing.

I can't get this stupid thing to use the internal mic. Any other suggestions besides taking it into the Apple care service tech.

Thanks for your help in advance.

neorambo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2011
Does the internal mic show up in System Profiler (System Report on Mac OS X 10.7 Lion) > Hardware > Audio?
Yes it does show up. When I click on the input the test volume bar goes up and then comes down.

Last edited:

Enemy75

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2012
Hi Neorambo,
Did you manage to fix your problem with mic? I am experiencing exactly the same issue and tried everything including replacing the mic. Please let me know if you have succeeded or failed.

Regards,

luisjoujr

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2012
Does the speaker also work or is it just the mic the one that isn't working?

I had a similar trouble in which all the sound stopped working without apparent reason. I solved it by replacing the "Audio Flex Cable". You can find references and places to purchase one if you google it.

Enemy75

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2012
The speaker works perfectly, so we can rule this out i guess.

I have just discovered that when I blow directly into microphone you can hear a noise in the speakers! Weird.

Last edited: