Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rojakmoon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2014
Alabama, USA
I'm new here to the forum and look forward to interacting with the members here. I found this forum via google while trying to determine which macbook is a better but:

MBA = 13" MacBook Air
nrMBP = 13" Macbook Pro Non-Retina
rMBP = 13" MacBook Pro Retina

MacRumors says "Do Not Buy" the nrMBP or the rMBP but do "Buy Now" for the MBA.

Here is what I'm looking at and my total cost for each:

MBA 4GB/256GB SSD = $1,089.99

rMBP 8GB/256GB SSD = $1,415.91

nrMBP 4GB/500GB HHD upgraded to 16GB/256GB SSD = $1,109.66

I'm trying to decide which is the better value for the money today considering that there may be updates coming to the MBA & rMBP.

My daily laptop died so I've got to replace ASAP. I'm a business consultant & real estate investor by profession.

Would appreciate your feedback to help me in my decision making venture.

Rojak

EstebanLGJ

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2014
Austin, Texas

I'm trying to decide which is the better value for the money today considering that there may be updates coming to the MBA & rMBP.

My daily laptop died so I've got to replace ASAP. I'm a business consultant & real estate investor by profession.

I don't know what you are using your computer for, but I'm guessing that you wont need the 16GB on the nrMBP. I would choose the rMBP just because it seems like all screens will go retina eventually. I believe that there are rumors already about retina mac book airs coming to the market in the future.

You can always go refurbished as well. Apples does a pretty good job at that.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...z-Dual-core-Intel-Core-i5-with-retina-Display

rojakmoon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2014
Alabama, USA
My business use:
GoToMeeting, pushing video and slideshows to projectors and/or flat screens, calendar & task scheduling, invoicing, email, use MS Word/Excel/PowerPoint Daily and web research.

I'll look at the refurbished unit pricing for sure but I needed this yesterday. :)

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
My business use:
GoToMeeting, pushing video and slideshows to projectors and/or flat screens, calendar & task scheduling, invoicing, email, use MS Word/Excel/PowerPoint Daily and web research.
I'll look at the refurbished unit pricing for sure but I needed this yesterday. :)
Get the i5/4/256 mba for the portability and battery life.
It will fullfill your needs perfectly
Enjoy :)

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I would recommend you either a 13" MBA or a 13" rMBP in this case. Both are very light and mobile, while packing more then enough punch for what you want to do. The rMBP has a better display at the expense of slightly higher weight and shorter battery life.

It is also quite unlikely that there will be updates any time soon. The buyer's guide is unreliable, as it only takes historical releases into account. But Apple's main constraint is the technological advances of their partners (such as Intel). As the next-gen Intel CPUs are being delayed, there is not much possibility for Apple to release a new model.

rojakmoon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2014
Alabama, USA
Wow Estaban... that refurb price is $200.00 cheaper than the brand new at Best Buy even after applying a price match and a edu discount!! Thanks for the heads up.

Meister... I'm definitely leaning that way now.

rojakmoon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2014
Alabama, USA
leman... appreciate your reply and information. As a newbie to the macbook world I'm not sure which sites are reliable or not so it helps to get feedback.

Coming from a windows world I've always felt comfortable knowing I could upgrade and/or replace memory, HHD, batteries, etc. Read on Apple site that I could only do that with the nrMBP. Just a thought maker not a deal breaker.

I'm down to the MBA and rMBP... more toward the pro.

Thank you for replying.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
I'm new here to the forum and look forward to interacting with the members here. I found this forum via google while trying to determine which macbook is a better but:

MBA = 13" MacBook Air
nrMBP = 13" Macbook Pro Non-Retina
rMBP = 13" MacBook Pro Retina

MacRumors says "Do Not Buy" the nrMBP or the rMBP but do "Buy Now" for the MBA.

Here is what I'm looking at and my total cost for each:

Would appreciate your feedback to help me in my decision making venture.

Rojak

Are you planning on ordering the machine or buying it from a retail store? If you are ordering, get a refurb. You will save a couple of hundred and it's the same machine with the same warranty.

If I were you I would go with the retina MBP. It has a smaller footprint than the Air while being only slightly heavier (roughly half a pound). The screen on the rMBP is simply amazing.

If price is a concern, or you absolutely need 12 plus hour battery life, then go with the Air. The battery on the rmbp will still be very good though (I get 8-10 hours depending on usage).

The Air is a fantastic machine but if the difference in price isn't a problem for you, the rMBP is worth the difference if nothing else than for the display.

rojakmoon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2014
Alabama, USA
capathy21... Thanks for your in site and information.

I plan to buy through Best Buy today since I need it asap and I have $1,500.00 available one of their gift cards plus a $100.00 edu coupon.

Everyone, including myself now, are picking the rMBP 13/8/256. So I'll head to BB this afternoon.

Thanks Again

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
capathy21... Thanks for your in site and information.

I plan to buy through Best Buy today since I need it asap and I have $1,500.00 available one of their gift cards plus a $100.00 edu coupon.

Everyone, including myself now, are picking the rMBP 13/8/256. So I'll head to BB this afternoon.

Thanks Again

Great choice! I have the base model (4/128) and I love the machine more and more everyday. You'll love it.

rojakmoon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2014
Alabama, USA
Finally Made a Decision... Appreciate the Help

Just to share the thinking and process with those who may find themselves in a dilemma like I was in.

I've been a Windows user since it was an OS but I've had colleagues, clients & mentors who all swear by their MacBooks, telling me to give a macbook a go so when my Windows Laptop crapped out I decided now was the time.

Money wasn't the issue for me it was time. I needed a replacement laptop ASAP but when shopping for the "Apple" of your eye your better off having time to shop and wait for shipment. Refurb are plentiful and economical and are definitely the way to go for 95% of the buyers out there but for the 5% like me it's not doable. I had to find an economically smart way to make a purchase quickly and my local Best Buy was it.

When I first started desiring a macbook it was the MBA 13" 8/256 SSD that I wanted. Unfortunately, I could only get one via order and ship not to mention that the price was a tad stiff. Decided it was a nope especially when there could be a 12" retina version on the horizon.

Secondly, I was considering the MBP non-retina 13" 4/500 HDD due to its low price point and it's upgradability in regards to memory & hard drives. For under $300.00 I could upgrade the laptop to 16/256 SSD but it was still be an Ivy Bridge processor, lower resolution graphics, heaviest weight of the three and most of all... it would void the mfg warranty. However, I did buy one for my office assistant and I can upgrade as needed. Plus it looks really good on the 24" monitor... one happy lady.

Lastly, the one I chose as my personal use laptop was the MacBook Pro Retina 13" 8/256 SSD with a super-drive and Ethernet adapter. I had set a budget of $1,500.00 and I was under so bought the added accessories mentioned. It is heavier in the hand than the MBA but I can't tell the difference carrying in a briefcase or in a portfolio. I can tell the difference between the screen viewing when it comes to word docs, spreadsheets, etc. where the clarity of the fonts are better with the retina screen... at least to my eyes. I'm happy with my selection and so far I'm liking the macbook experience but it's been a mofo trying to stop touching the screen (damn you Win8) LOL.

I truly appreciate everyone's thoughts and input to my questions, it helped resolve my dilemma, atleast until the 12" Retina MacBook Air 16/512 is released!! :)

Rojak

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.