Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
hey guys,

i can't seem to get this out of my head so i figured i'd just post it. for the last few days, i have been wondering about a couple things.

1) why is the 13" macbook air have a higher res screen than the 13" macbook pro? why do u think this is?

2) is it possible to switch the 13" mba's lcd panel into a 13" mbp body?

3) what do u think is the main drive of apple choosing their gpu vendor? is it performance/power based? or is it more timing, such as, amd has these particular gpu's ready so apple chose them?

any answers, guesses r more than apprec-welcomed.

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
anyone?

ok. i'll go first, then.

1) my first guess/speculation is design. the macbook air was designed to have a hi-res screen from the get go. the screen probably takes up half the weight of the MBA and is physically the other "half" of the notebook. so screen quality was probably high on the design priority list. also, being a new product relatively to the MBP line, the MBA adopted the higher-res screen because it didn't have to evolve from the same lineage. it needed to form a new one with a high-res screen (for its size) as the de-facto standard. whereas, the 13" MBP has a lower res screen b/c it is tied to a more traditional and conservative lineage.

2) i don't know.

3) i don't know.

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
2. (I'm answering what I can answer)
I think the chassis of the display from the Air is a lot thinner, so it probably won't work in terms of installing it in the MacBook.
However, for the 13" at least, I have seen 1440x900 replacement matte screens...

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
just by looking at my 15" mbp now, i don't see how they can make it any thinner unless they take away the superdrive and maybe a usb port or two.

looking forward to what apple comes up with next for mbp design.

as for mba, i guess, i am looking forward to what the next update will bring.

maybe, in the near future apple will utilize their own cpu/gpu designs into the air.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
They have the higher res on the MBA to push people towards it, especially if the res is important to them. No brainer.

I've heard you can't swap out the MBA screen to the mbp, but you can probably find a replacement somewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.