13" macbook air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Planejunkie, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Planejunkie macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Planning to get a macbook air as my secondary computer, do you guys think that 4 GB can hold for four years ?
    THX :)

2. majkom macrumors 65816

why dont you try, JUST TRY, to search this forum. On first page you should find two or three long threads debating 4 vs 8 GB ram...:confused:

3. Meister Suspended

Meister

My crystalball says: "Yes!"

For more qualified advice consult your local fortune teller.

4. unloader macrumors newbie

I bought a 2013 MBA last year and opted for the 8GB of RAM since you can't upgrade it later. I figured I would rather have 8GB of ram and not need it than have 4GB and need it.

If anything I wish I would've gotten a bigger HDD, my World of Warcraft folder alone takes up nearly half my avail. space.

5. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

It's $100 upgrade only! That only about 7 cents a day over 4 years....Get it!

6. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

Spending 7 cents a day for 4 years on something you don't need is still a waste of money.

7. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

Sure, 8GB isn't needed, but it's worth it if you do anything more demanding than just surfing the web, once when you go with 4GB RAM, you're stuck with it until you buy a new MBA.

8. b3av3r macrumors regular

b3av3r

If it was a user upgrade then I would get the 4GB and upgrade when needed.

Since it is not I say get the upgrade.

Make sure you check the Apple store for refurbs too, you can probably get one with the 8GB for close to the price of a 4GB model.

9. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

2 GB of RAM still works for me while surfing the web, watching movies, writing, and light gaming on my 2010 MBA. The SSD plays a huge role in reducing lag from paging, so large amounts of RAM are no longer needed for consumer tasks. Nobody knows what the OP is going to be doing 4 years from now, but if it is any consumer task, 4GB of RAM will be plenty. A 256GB hard drive is a better investment for consumer computing. Especially as a secondary computer, I doubt 8GB of RAM would do any good.

Matt

10. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

True, we don't know what OP's doing with his MBA.

But for me, 8GB/256GB is the minimum I'll go with, since I use Aperture for my photography stuff, as well as running VMs.

11. verseafterverse macrumors member

Do you do anything other then watching movies youtube spotify anything music related and facebook for (student)usage 4gb is fine if you want to play any games then go for 8. If you didnt want to order it from the apple site you get 4
    Is fine for the air if you want/need 8 i would buy a pro.