13" Macbook battery stopped working?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by vette982, Jul 22, 2009.

1. vette982 macrumors newbie

I went on vacation for 1 month and when I came back my mac wouldn't charge! In the corner it would say "Not Charging" and and the battery lights do not turn on when I press the button on the battery itself. The mac only works when I have it plugged in.

Anyone else had this problem? Do I need a new battery?:mad:

It's a 13" white macbook... about 2.5 years old. It has the Intel processor but not the Core2Duo.

2. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

Try resetting the SMC, if it doesn't work then it might be your charger, try with a different one too.

3. Maserati7200 macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

11230, Midwood, Brooklyn, NY, USA, North America
    Call Apple/Take it to an Apple store ASAP if you bought apple care. They could replace the battery for free if it's faulty. This should not happen to a battery 2.5 years old.

4. vette982 thread starter macrumors newbie

What's an SMC? lol

5. pyth macrumors member

First, I'm not sure if you had the battery in the computer and if you followed Apple's instructions for long term storage of a battery which would not be in use, but if you didn't, the result is that your battery is just screwed up.

Generally, batteries don't last 2.5 years well. But if it was working fine beforehand, I would reset the SMC like the other poster said and if that doesn't work, go to the apple store or call apple.

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Download and install coconut battery and see what it tells you. If its dead, but a new one (applecare only lasts a year and/or 300 charge cycles).

You may get a little more life out of the old one by using the old putting the battery in the freezer trick. Wrap it in a paper towel put it in a ziplock baggie, and let it sit in your freezer for a day or two. Let it thaw completely and see if it charges. Repeat if necessary. I've used this with success on a couple of dead powerbook batteries.

7. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

I talked to about 5 people at Apple today and they said they absolutely would not replace a MacBook battery that has over 300 cycles, even if I had the extended warranty. I was at 530 cycles and 98% health when it suddenly stopped charging.

8. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

I believe Apple did issue a warranty extension on the batteries in Macbooks from that "era". Unfortunately I think you are still well past the extended warranty period.