13" MacBook Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ajchapinjr.com, Dec 17, 2007.

1. ajchapinjr.com macrumors member

Hey all.

Bought this 13" MacBook back in September 2006.

Recently have started using it a lot more "out and about" and have noticed a significant change in my iStat's battery readings.

While it was regularly (for the battery health reading) around 90%, it now fluctuates between 60 and 75%.

What have I done to hurt the battery this much? Is this something that would be covered by AppleCare? Suggestions for maintaining the battery better?

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

It probably wasn't you. A lot of the batteries are buggy. You can see the reviews @ the Apple Store; they tend to loose charge *very* quickly right as you run out of warranty (what a coincidence!). If you've got 3-year AppleCare, tell them, and get it changed. If not, it'll cost you the $130, unfortunately. Concerning battery care, there isn't much you can do, in my opinion. It really depends on the condition of your battery before you get it. No amount of calibration will save a battery that was doomed from the start, while on the other end, none will be necessary for one that was built to last. So basically, just pray you get a good battery.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Calibration ensures that your computer is receiving correct information from the battery about its charge stats.

How many cycles do you have on your battery?

4. ajchapinjr.com thread starter macrumors member

It says 153. I have no idea what a "cycle" even is, however.

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Apple's rule of thumb is that a battery should retain 80% of its maximum charge after 300 cycles. But performance does vary widely.

A cycle is one full charge and depletion cycle. So if you started with a full battery, ran it down to 50%, and charged it back up, that would be half a cycle.

Is your machine in fact under AppleCare? And are you located near an Apple store? If so, I'd stop by and talk to a Genius about it...it sounds like you might be able to get a replacement battery for it under AppleCare.

6. ajchapinjr.com thread starter macrumors member

It is under AppleCare...I'll be back from school next week and will be near an Apple Store.

Anyone had experience with this? Is this a "yeah, drop it off, we'll call you when we have it done in a week" thing? Or is it simply a "here's your new battery, give us your old one," in and out type of thing?

I couldn't imagine having them require me drop it off and leave it there for very long...

7. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

hmm

Any chance of them taking back a battery outside of the apple care? I'm at 28 months, 252 cycles and 64% battery life. :/ Far lower than the 80% at 300 cycles standard.