13" MacBook (Late 2006) won't boot

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by wukovits, Feb 25, 2010.

1. wukovits macrumors newbie

Greetings,

I have a 13" MacBook (White 2.0GHz/1 GB/80 GB) that will not boot. I've tried the troubleshooting tips on the Apple website to no avail. When I turn it on, the light on the front stays light, I can hear the HD spin up, etc. The screen flickers as if it is getting power, but no chimes or sounds whatsoever. I've also tried to reseat RAM, used different RAM, but no dice.

I'm hoping that there are a few other things I can try before I'm left with getting a new logic board. Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

3. wukovits thread starter macrumors newbie

I've reset the SMC, the PRAM, tried different RAM, etc.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Unless you are wedded to FireWire, you're best bet would be to sell it on ebay for a parts machine and buy a refurb MacBook from Apple. Its nearly the same as the cost of a new logic board.

5. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

Does the Backlight come on? It does sounds like Water Damage.

6. wukovits thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure the screen is working, because as soon as you hit the power button, it "flickers" as if it's ready to start. (If you know what I mean)...

7. fluffyx macrumors 6502

As long as there's no physical damage, we will or Apple will fix it for $280+tax. Not horrible…

8. wukovits thread starter macrumors newbie

Does that $280 include any kind of warranty? Is that for the logic board replacement?

9. Pax macrumors 6502a

If you plug into an external monitor does it work?
    I had a situation a month ago where I swapped from an external to the internal screen and it got confused and just showed a black internal screen, regardless of whether the external screen was connected. The problem persisted even after re-booting.
    That made me very nervous.
    I had to reset the SMC twice (I think) to fix it
    This was on a MBP

10. polotska macrumors 6502

Correct. I believe these out-of-warranty flat-rate repairs are warranted for 90 days.

The price would be the same regardless of what components are replaced, so if it needs a logic board, that's what it will get.