13" MacBook (Late 2008) Hinge Broken

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by robertkj, Apr 7, 2011.

1. robertkj macrumors newbie

Hey guys.

So the hinge on my MacBook (Late 2008) is completely broken and the screen can't stand up on its own at all.

I went to the Apple store and they said it would cost around $550 to fix since the screen is attached to the hinge and that would need replacement to.

Seems like a lot of money to fix a 2.5 year old MacBook.

I was wondering does anybody have any other ideas on how to fix it for less money.

Or maybe I should I just buy a new Macbook.

Any input would be great, Thanks.

2. Mrlogger macrumors newbie

Same Issue

My 13" Macbook also has broken hinges, is still working, but for how long?
    I took it to the Albany, NY Apple Store and they told me it was $375 to fix. This seems very expensive to fix and appears to be a weak point on the Mac Air also!

Has anyone got a better solution?:(

3. Mrlogger macrumors newbie

Just found this website

http://macbookairhinge.wordpress.com/of-computers-affected/

It shares info of other owners with same issue and Apple fixed thier device

4. jcrandall23 macrumors newbie

Which type of Macbook do you have? Aluminum unibody, white unibody, or the older non-unibody white one? I know the hinges on the aluminum one can be replaced individually, and I just looked at an older white screen shell and it appears those can be replaced as well, though you'd have to tear the screen all the way down to do it as they're screwed on under the LCD panel. Not sure about the white unibody, but I have one in the shop I need to replace the LCD on so I'll have a look and report back.

5. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

yes, that price is extremely high, if you look on ifixit you can look at a guide and try to do it yourself if you feel comfortable with it. they're not too bad to do