13" Macbook Pro: 2.26GHz or 2.53GHz?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Portal83, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Portal83 macrumors regular

About to get a new 13" Macbook Pro but I'm having some trouble deciding if it's worth it for me to get the 2.53GHz model. The 3 big differences are...

0.27GHz processor speed
    - don't think I'll ever care

2GB of RAM
    - fine for now and could always upgrade to 4GB for $65 on Crucial in 2 years

160GB HDD
    - probably need around 130GB in a couple years with new videos, music, etc.

...so should I bother springing the extra $330 CDN? The processor speed would probably be unnoticeable to me. I wouldn't mind, but certainly don't 'need', the extra RAM for now. However, I'd like the piece of mind I'd have to not worry about HDD space ever. While I can always burn videos to DVDs for backup, I'd rather keep everything together. Still, I doubt I'd need to go over 160GB.

I use my Mac mostly for regular stuff plus some games and light photo/audio editing.

Thoughts?

edit: I know I could just pay the extra $60 or whatever for the bigger HDD on the 2.26GHz, but I'd rather just pick it up at the Apple Store and figure I might as well just get the faster model if I really want it.

2. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

If I were you, I'd go with the 2.26 for now, and then when you need the extra RAM and HDD space, then upgrade.

4GB of RAM - $65 from Crucial, as you mentioned
    500GB, 7200RPM drive - $120 from Canada Computers

The 7200rpm drive will be a great boost and the drive, combined with the RAM will still be roughly $150 cheaper than the 270mhz of extra processing power.

3. Portal83 thread starter macrumors regular

So I'm leaning towards that option now, but a couple follow-up questions in case I do need to upgrade drives eventually...

1. How do 3rd party HDDs compare in performance/reliability to the stock ones?

2. Is migrating your comp to a new HDD relatively easy or do you have to reinstall everything from scratch?

4. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

I'd just get the lower end model (2.26) with the bigger apple hard drive. Honestly, you'll fill 160gb up quickly and wish you'd just got it with your computer. RAM is a big rip off from apple though. I'd get that somewhere else.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Considering Apple uses 3rd-party drives in the first place, I'd say they're identical.

It's relatively easy, and there are various ways to do it.

6. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Just as reliable as stock ones but you can now have control about which make you buy so choose wisely. Most Hard Drives also come with a 5 year warranty so longer than Applecare.

7. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

I want to bump this thread for helping me greatly.

Hope it helps somebody else in my predicament as well.

8. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

Is 2GB RAM sufficient? I mean, it sounds plenty... yet most of Apple's computers come with 4GB. Should I upgrade my 13" MBP up from 2GB? (when i get it that is)

9. Shawny D macrumors member

Shawny D

2 GB is PLENTY if your definition of multitasking is web-surfing, word processing, and listening to iTunes.

I've been rocking 2 GB for years now using it like this and have yet to see the bottom. :D

10. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

Some say it's more than enough, but if you ever get that lingering feeling, go for the 4GB.

The max RAM for the new 13" MBP is 8GB, but I doubt you'll need that much.

;)

11. hornshwangler macrumors newbie

I'd get the base unit and DIY upgrade the RAM and HD. OWC has a 7200 DIY kit for about $170 and a 4 gb upgrade is under $70. The benefits of DIY is you have an additional external drive after the upgrade (your old apple internal drive in your new DIY enclosure) and the RAM from any OEM (other equipment manufacturer) will always be cheaper than apple. Don't be concerned about being able to do the upgrade yourself. It's very easy.

good luck
    Dan

12. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

get the base model and upgrade

you'll notice the RAM and HD upgrades more than the speed bump of the processor.

13. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

Do what I'm doing (Canadian prices):

- Buy the 2.26 - save ~$350 after taxes
    - Buy 4GB of RAM once 2GB starts hurting my performance or it drops to ~$60
    - Buy a 500GB WD Blue HD once they hit $100
    - Buy AppleCare for ~$150 off ebay

So for about the same price (or less) than the 2.53 you now have:

- 4GB of RAM
    - 500GB HD (a very good drive at that and 2x the size of the stock drive in the 2.53)
    - 3 year AppleCare warranty (2 extra years of peace of mind)

14. BayouBengal macrumors regular

2GB of RAM is enough for a lot of people but it's also one of the cheapest upgrades you can do and see the most boost in performance.

15. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

Ehh, watch out for that.

There's a thread on here that detailed the scam that is buying AppleCare on eBay.

Just be cautious.

16. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Look for good ratings/feedback, make sure listing says unopened box, and use paypal/credit card for protection. You should be fine with a little common sense.