13" Macbook Pro, 2.4Ghz C2D, (2010) general instability

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dreamtelevision, May 26, 2010.

1. dreamtelevision macrumors newbie

I bought my new macbook pro 13", C2D just a little while ago, and I am really dissappoint!
    The screen has frozen up on me at least three times, the mouse will not move, however the music continues to play in the background.
    And then today, I couldn't force quit any programs nor restart finder, and eventually it just froze up too. I've had to hard boot it every time.

Is anyone else having these problems? I feel like I am doing something different each time when it happens. I run Transmission, Last.fm, iTunes, iCal, Mail, and Firefox all the time.

tl;dr

Is your macbook pro 13" 2.4Ghz C2D model really unstable for seemingly random reasons? :(

2. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

the obvious answer is no, there is something wrong with your laptop and you need to take it in.

i hope you didnt actually think that such issues could be a regular occurance...

3. chris7777 macrumors 6502

I am.

I was just unsure how to ask and what terminology to use.

But I first noticed something when I let it sit on a table overnight not hooked to the power cord, and even though I had the power settings set to turn it off after 3 hours or so. it was like it was just dead the next morning, I had to plug it back in and hit power and it lost all of my wireless info, causing me ot have to reenter my wep key, but also wiped my desktop background.

Now it is freezing intermittently and just slow and acting strange.

I am looking in the forums to see if others have any issues as well

4. Fuzz02 macrumors newbie

Fuzz02

That is not normal behavior. The battery in my macbook has died on me tons of times, and 90% of the time it saves everything so when I plug it back in it loads for a second and then I'm back to whatever I was doing.

The other 10% of the time it actually does die, but I turn it on and log in and everything is still working properly, no loss of information or background difference.

5. dreamtelevision thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh yea, that reminds me, iTunes dialog box started popping up telling me my volume was turned all the way down, the usual default I guess? I never did that on my own, so I guess there was some memory loss too...

Apple guy said that it could have been atMonitor, which were remnants of a monitoring program i hadn't fully uninstalled and was trying to open upon login. But he really doesn't know. After he removed it fully for me, his instructions were to wait and see if the problems persisted and if they did, make a seperate admin account and run all my usual programs through there. If the stability problems are solved, then that means it has something to do with my normal admin account (at which point I stopped understanding him...over my head).

in the end, he says it makes the whole diagnosis process easier for them, quicker for me.

my computer hasn't crashed since, but its only been a couple days. I am also running Civ IV a lot, whose error logs are plentiful.

6. chris7777 macrumors 6502

new symptom. I went into standby last night, and my wep key was forgotten again.

7. $MacUser$ macrumors 6502

There is obviously something up...most likely hardware. Bad ram. Bad board. Bad CPU. Bad HDD. Something that's not even coming to me...

...take the computer in, for the love of Pete ;)

Good luck with it. :apple:

8. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

it looks to me as some kind of software related issue...

9. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

month having this 13" and it seems fine. mine only freezes when i scroll a lot (chrome). read that scrolling on firefox/chrome/safari? uses 50%+of the CPU or something (read it somewhere on here)

10. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

picked one up on the day it was released. I have had lots of problems i would say software related.... freeze, hangs, shutdowns and much more... I did a clean install and the overall stability seems much better. I had originally done a data transfer using the migration assistant out of the box...I think that created the problem.

11. chris7777 macrumors 6502

I will just have to take the time to go asap.