13" macbook pro 2,4Ghz or 2,66Ghz ??? Please

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by janguzej, Apr 14, 2010.

1. janguzej macrumors newbie

Hi

I want to buy new 13" MBP with 4Gb Ram and 500Gb Hdd. But I cant decide if 2,4ghz or 2,66ghz procesor. Is it worth to pay extra £210 for faster procesor? Will I feel big difference with faster procesor?
    I'm going to use it for Logic Studio, internet, watching movie and edit home videos.

Thanks

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

For the average user who buys a low end MacBook pro the extra 0.26ghz is not worth the extra money. It would produce a bigger increase in speed if you save the money and then invest in an SSD when you can afford one.

3. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

Exactly; thread closed.

4. UKBeast macrumors 6502

0.26 GHZ X 2 = 0.52 GHZ

though, still it is better to get the low end one with a ssd..

5. seb-opp macrumors 6502

don't bother with the more expensive one, If you genuinely needed more power you would have gone for a 15"

Just saw you are using Logic, but are you just a casual user?

6. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

sorry but it simply doesn't work this way

7. UKBeast macrumors 6502

Core 2 Duo has 2 cores. 2.66 means 2.66 ghz x 2 if you are using 2 seperated programs at once.

8. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

this was hotly discussed years ago on here, and although it seems that way. this is not actually the case.

Unfortunately I do not know the maths behind it, but im sure someone will come along and explain it to you in time

9. UKBeast macrumors 6502

Real world performance might be different but that is what it is behind, so we can say the performance difference would be about 10% and that depends on what softwares you are using..

Having said that, the performance difference that you will get from an SSD would be much more than 10% , plus this is a portable machine and you will be saving battery life..

10. janguzej thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys for your replies.

I want to use logic studio cassualy but in some time try to produce it more profesionaly. I'll have macbook connected on 37" TV.

So from your advices is better to go for 2,4Ghz with SSD?

11. UKBeast macrumors 6502

Yes, exactly !

If you have an external hard drive like 250 to 500 gb, get the low end one with the 128gb ssd. Because you will get a lot more performance also you have more battery life, your machine will work silent with ssd..

12. janguzej thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry guys, but I'm getting confused. Just been reading different thread here on macrumours about SSD and all posts there say same thing - dont buy SSD from apple because they are not good quality and overpriced.

Are they really bad?

13. phoobo macrumors regular

failsafe method here

The tried n' true method for getting value from an Apple machine:

Always buy the *slowest* Macbook with the *smallest* hard drive from Apple. (2.4 vs 2.6 = ZERO difference. Zero. 0. Marketing gimmick.)

Remove the spinning hard drive and keep it as a backup.

Install an SSD that you have bought from someone other than Apple for a much lower price. Ditto for memory expansion if you need it.

14. janguzej thread starter macrumors newbie

If I instal SSD myself, will it void my waranty? I'm planning to get apple care.

15. phoobo macrumors regular

Hold off on the Apple Care too

Apple care is also a losing bet, statistically speaking (like all extended warranties on electronics); that's why it's such a big moneymaker for Apple.

You don't even know that you're going to have the machine for 3 years.

Hold off on the Apple care -- your warranty is good for a year. If at the end of that year you still want the AC, you can get it. Not recommended.

16. janguzej thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple care on student discount cost me around £47.00.
    So its not that much to pay for 3years waranty.

17. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

Messing with your HDD dosen't void the warranty.
    Buy a SSD and go with the slower processor.
    Unless it's ABSOLUTELY critical to finish your 'processing task' 30 seconds earlier (on a 2 hour task lets say) then dont buy the faster computer.

You'll probably end up losing when it's time to sell, the 300 dollar price diff will not hold up in the used market.

18. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

Does MacOS X 10.6.3 support the SSD's "Trim" function?

19. phoobo macrumors regular

No

But the speed loss involved is negligible (i.e. it's still faster than a HDD).

Still, in my book the main advantage of the SSD: no sound, no vibration.

20. janguzej thread starter macrumors newbie

If I want to buy SSD which make should I go for? And what size or something I need to look for to fit in my macbook???

21. UKBeast macrumors 6502

I do not know which brands and models will fit macbook pros but I will buy the one that is coming with macbook. Even if they send it with a slower ssd, it will still be faster than a standart hdd.

Get a 128GB one because 256GB one is too expansive, it does not worth of that price. Later on you can get a 32GB or 64GB Sd card to use it as an additional memory to save your database. Or just get an external hard drive for your movies.

That would be the most cost effective solution...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCBfsfzHPeY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7imoemw-0Q&feature=fvwv

1. SSDs are silent, they do not make noise, they do not heat computer.
    2. Their random file access speed is very good, so you will boot up very fast.
    3. You can start many applications at the same time.
    4. You can open big sized files very quickly.
    5. SSD is saving battery life up to about 20%
    6. Your computer will wake up from sleep mode very quickly which is very important when it comes to portable machines.

So forget about slight cpu difference, get a ssd. SSD is the future..

Once you use SSD, you will never want to turn back to old hdds...

22. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

OP anything recent by OCZ or Intel will work extremely well. You will need to purchase a 2.5" SATA drive, but apart from that you should be good.

Just remember you generally get what you pay for with SSD's!

23. UKBeast macrumors 6502

But when you buy ssd from different market, you have to sell your hdd that is coming with your macbook pro ha? And with that job you will be loosing money, you just cant sell it for the priced you paid to apple. And apple is not selling a macbook pro without a hard drive or ssd :D

When you calculate all your cost, getting it from apple will save you money. And with the money you save, get a 32Gb or 64GB SDHC card when companies reduce their price.

You will have 128 gb + 32gb or 64gb disk space which is quite enough for a caual user.

24. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Or you could use the original hard drive in your Mac as an external hard drive by purchasing a USB or Firewire enclosure and have a place to store large media files.:rolleyes:

25. UKBeast macrumors 6502

Comon mate you will still be paying more money for it :D You have to pay for an external enclosure for just a 250 gb external drive :D Get a usb 256 gb ready drive it will be a lot cost effective again :D

Jobs is not stupid.

Is there a benchmark that is comparing new apple ssd to the others ?

I am pretty sure, the other brands like intel or ocz has slightly faster ssds but they will probably be a bit more expensive. At the end of the day, what you are getting is what are paying..

Get the one coming with apple and buy a 32gb sd card..