13" Macbook pro 2.66ghz Vs Core i5 15" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JamesGorman, Sep 22, 2010.

1. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Hello everyone,
    This is my first post in quite sometime. Recently my alu macbook 2.4ghz has been acting up. Best buy is going to replace it with a 2.66ghz Macbook Pro, but I am thinking about paying the difference of $300.00 and getting the i5. I do a bit of video editing, like making vids for youtube and family videos. Will I notice a huge difference? Or at least enough of a difference to warant the spending of the extra cash.

Thanks in advance,
    James

2. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

if you do get the 13" put an ssd in it, it speeds it up A LOT.

3. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

The answer, YES. The i5 has hyperthreading and it's a faster processor with more cache, so you will notice significantly better performance on the i5 (about 25-30% faster) than the 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo. Well worth the extra 300". Plus it's a 15" display and you can't go wrong there.

4. mk1ap macrumors member

Faster and a bigger screen is a win win for the video editing you do.

5. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

Yes the i5 has turbo boost and hyper threading, which help huge when editing media, especially when you are rendering and editing clips =D definitely worth the upgrade

6. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

This is an absolute no-brainer. The i5 is worth it anyday. The performance boost is like going from 3500 to 5800 when you look at raw Geekbench numbers.

7. tpg macrumors regular

Was going to say the same thing about geekbench - especially given the fact that my three year old macbook with a 2.2GHz C2D scores around 3000 on geekbench...

Obviously the difference is even more prominent than that, because you get a significantly better graphics chip too. If performance is more important than portability, the 15" i5 would probably suit you better!

8. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

13 incher will score 4000 in Geekbench easily. However, if portability is a non issue, I would go for the i5 anyday.