13" MacBook Pro and gaming

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dannyTV, Nov 21, 2012.

1. dannyTV macrumors newbie

Any feedback or insight as to how the 13" MacBook Pro Retina handles gaming?

2. leman macrumors 604

Look up HD 4000 gaming benchmarks, that will give you a general idea. Expect the rMBP performance to be slightly lower due to additional image scaling overhead.

3. ultra7k macrumors 6502

ultra7k

went from my loaded PC gaming rig (i5 2500k, Radeon 6970 2GB etc etc) to a 13" cMBP.

For the most part I can play the same games I used to play. Admittedly I was a little worried about going from a dedicated GPU to an integrated 4000, but it handles itself quite nicely.

Games I have tried out on the Mac:
    League of Legends
    Diablo 3
    Starcraft 2
    Bastion
    Lord of the Rings Online

The 13" games adequately, don't expect mind blowing fps, but it wasn't a big disappointing going from a fairly high-powered desktop to a much more compact solution.

I have yet to try gaming in bootcamp.

4. JellyFish macrumors regular

I got World of Warcraft to over 30FPS on my 13 inch retina MBP. I am a very casual gamer, so that works fine for me. But I imagine that hard-core gamers will want a laptop that has a dedicated GPU to max out all the effects. I scaled mine back to the lowest, then went up from there until I arrived at a good balance between performance and prettiness.