13" Macbook Pro and Nvidia GT600M series

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smali, Mar 23, 2012.

1. smali macrumors regular

2. skeleb macrumors member

Money. They want people to buy 15" and 17" models.

3. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Other than the fact that NVidia hasn't been able to get a Kepler chip out the door, and their "announcements" are really nothing more than that?

It'll be the "Macbook - Air Where the Video Chip should Be" :)

4. smali thread starter macrumors regular

True, would be a real shame because I really would like a portable computer that looks nice but also has CUDA for the Adobe Apps.

----------

It's not a matter of if but when they will be released. I'm more interested in the reasons why Apple would maybe choose to omit a dedicated card on an expensive laptop now that there is zero reason to do so.

5. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Wild guess, but ... Apple probably makes more money on the 13" Macbook Pro than the 15" and 17" combined.

I don't know what the profit margin per 13" is, but I do know that Apple moves the 13" in volume that the 15" and 17" can only imagine.

6. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Keep in mind supply line constraints. The MacBooks you see two months from now are being made today. You certainly won't see them in the next generation due to production constraints. Apple has incredible QA. They don't just put something in a machine for the sake of having the latest version. A mid cycle refresh, or the gen after that? Sure, after the platform has proven itself, but I can't see any time before then, and by then the next iteration of the GPU will probably be released and Apple will be on the one before.

7. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

A 640M with GDDR5 seems a potentially awesome chip with probably incredible over-clocking potential.
    Question is what will it really be like the specs are as fuzzy as never before.
    And can they produce enough once Ivy Bridge hits. 28nm seems to be in very bad supply when they can hardly deliver those very few high end cards.
    The whole rebranding also indicates that 28nm will not show in big volume for a while.

I really like what Nvidia did with Kepler. AMD used to have the most efficient architecture with VLIW4 but GCN lost some efficiency (on the same process it would probably be worse). Nvidia corrected their horrible inefficient architecture and quite by a huge decree not just closing the gap but being better than AMDs GCN in almost any respect.

8. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

and do you really think that other OEMs dont do the same thing? To release something you have to have that in store. which nv does.

there are benchmarks of the acer ultrabook with the gt 640m, and its already available for purchase.

The case is that can nv or amd provide enough numbers and with a low tdp gpus that can fit the mbp 13?

9. thundersteele macrumors 68030

The desktop GPUs are out, and have completely destroyed their AMD counterparts in benchmarks.

It seems that Nvidia couldn't get out the mobile GPUs in large quantities in time, so the last round of rumors implies that only high end MBPs will get discrete GPUs.

It's unclear what will happen to the 13'' MBP, but if they remove the ODD there would be room for a powerful GPU (and a quad-core?).

10. hypermog macrumors regular

Rumor is that the new MBPs will use the GeForce 600M series, but not as extensively as was once planned:

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/03/13/apple-drops-nvidia-kepler-from-large-numbers-of-laptops/

11. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

$$$$$$$$$$$$PROFIT$$$$$$$$$$$$

Of course, without a powerful GPU - at least what the 15" will have - the Air is the better choice.

----------

NO WAY.

Where do you see more than $100 of added value between the 15" and 13"?

The 15" has the largest profit margin of any Apple laptop, maybe of any product they sell.

At least that's my "wild guess".

12. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Pretty sure he meant in total, not per unit.

13. MatthewAMEL macrumors 6502

MatthewAMEL

MacBook Air will be Ivy Bridge/Intel HD 4000 11"-13".

MacBook Pro will be Ivy Bridge/Kepler 15"-17".

I'd say the optical drive is gone from both lines. The big question I have is which 600 series will be available. Apple's excuse for using underpowered mobile GPUs has always been thermal. It's going to be hard to make that same argument when companies like Acer are putting 640's into 13" ultrabooks.

My fingers are crossed for the 670 at least as a BTO.

14. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

If the 640M is the replacement for the 540M than it is actually the same or even lower in TDP than the 6750M.
    It is no more than a guess what it is the replacement of since they don't release any TDP numbers anymore and the numbering was back and forth for a while.
    If it is the same as the last 650M,660M is 45, 55W and 640 is the usual 25-30W.

15. Arondel macrumors member

GTX 670M is a rebrand of the GTX 570M so it's a no-go.
    I could see them putting the GT 650M w/GDDR5 in the 15" and 17". GTX 660M is the same GPU with higher clocks (not worth it for Apple, probably).
    GT 640M w/DDR3 would be nice for 13" and would still not step on the higher end machines performance-wise.
    GT 635M and below are rebrands.

16. mcman77 macrumors 6502a

If they want to keep the 13" pro and the 13" air, then I imagine they will have to offer something like this in a pro. Knowing apple though, they wouldn't heitate in coming up with some rubbish excuse :rolleyes:

this please!! I hope they produce a true 13" Pro! quad + GPU

I find it quite hard to justify the price of a 15" pro since you can get a 27" iMac for the same price :/

The Air is not the better choice. That ULV cpu is horrible when compared to a mobile cpu! If both macs have SSDs you will see the big difference they offer.

Also it costs a little more and offers less