13" Macbook Pro Battery Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dr. Scientist, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Dr. Scientist macrumors member

Right, so my Macbook Pro is 28 weeks old. It shows a battery capacity of 5393 mAh out of 5770 mAh with a condition of "normal" at 93% health.

The issue is that the battery has been draining MUCH faster than usual. Yeah I know it depends on what I'm doing/Youtube/Flash blah blah blah. I get it. What usually took 6-8 hours of normal time to drain is now taking 2 hours, max.

I reset the PRAM, etc --- not much different.

Now, here's the BIG issue. I have NEVER been able to recalibrate my battery because after it hits 10-15%, the computer just shuts off. It never goes into sleep. This has happened every single time.

Has this ever happened to anyone before? The Apple Store is ways away, and I don't want to waste time going if they're just going to tell me my battery is "normal" since I haven't hit my 80% health indicator.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

PRAM has nothing to do with batteries, power or charging.
    Use Caffeine to keep it from sleeping. Even if it shuts off, you can let it stay that way for 5+ hours unplugged, to fully drain the battery.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

3. Dr. Scientist thread starter macrumors member

I tried that with Caffeine this past Sunday. It shut off at about 8% anyway. I let it stay off until Wednesday. I pressed the battery indicator and it was still at one bar --- it wasn't flashing or anything. I let it stay like that for one more day. Still the same result. I decided to give up and now I'm here.

The thread didn't really help me with a new solution. Thanks though, your help is much appreciated :)

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

So you're saying you left it unplugged for a day and it still had charge in it? What happens if you keep turning it on?

5. Dr. Scientist thread starter macrumors member

That's the weird part --- it doesn't turn on.

6. pricej636 macrumors 6502

This is not normal behavior. My 13" goes all the way down to 1% before it shuts off. Always has and I've never done a calibration on it. I also get on average 5-6 hours on a charge, depending on what I am doing of course. Definitely take it in and have it looked at.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If it doesn't turn on, that means the battery doesn't have enough juice in it to power it up, regardless of what the battery indicator says. That's the point of calibration: to make the readings more accurate. If you've left it unplugged for 5+ hours after it dies, just plug it back in and let it recharge, as normal.

8. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

To address the increased draining, what Adobe software are you using, especially flash based?