13" MacBook Pro Battery Question...?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by soccerb12ku, Jun 12, 2009.

1. soccerb12ku macrumors member

I just recieved my 13" MacBook Pro today from apple and have a few questions about how to treat the battery (this is my first laptop and first mac)...

I have read this guide already http://guides.macrumors.com/Laptop_Battery_Guide

1. So when you first get your new laptop should I do the calibration like it says in that quide and then do it once a month?
    2. I think the article say that I am supposed to go through about 2-3 cycles a week is this correct? (is more or less cycles better?)
    3. When I am not using the laptop like over night or just in general...is it better to leave it plugged in like overnight and stuff? or leave it on standy mode? or shut it down completely?

Thanks for any help!!

2. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

You should do it atleast one a month , if you want you can do it more than that . It depends how much you use your computer the more you use it the more cycles you going to use , If you not going to use it just turn it off completely let your mac book pro rest he deserve it , Plus you dont want to waste electricity

3. skelephat macrumors newbie

Thanks for posting this. I've had the same questions :).

4. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

Calibration doesn't really keep the battery in good condition (puts on unecessary cycles) rather it just ensures that the electronic battery meter is accurate so you get a good idea of remaining battery life. So if you don' tuse the battery that often then there is no need to calibrate monthly. Although with the quoted 1000 cycles and 5 years life, a monthly calibration should not be a big deal.

Ruahrc

5. macbook yes macrumors 6502

When on the apple page it says shut it down or let it sleep for 5 hours does that mean shut down for 5 hours or shut down and then you can plug it in? Their choice of words is confusing.