Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hawkijustin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2012
Late 2011 macbook pro still under warranty. Just wondering If i should be worried and take the time to drive a hour to the closest apple store?

68476_10100131619341299_121517978_n.jpg

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Yes you should be worried and you should be taking that in to Apple ASAP. I wouldn't charge it either, you could possibly cause a fire! Make sure you take in your MagSafe adapter as well. They may want to replace it also.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
Something is seriously amiss.

Charger and MacBook need service ASAP.

Hawkijustin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2012
I think I will take it in ASAP tomorrow. I just wasnt sure if this was normal for the MBP

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
You could Contact them and send this Photo/Image to them, but I am pretty sure it needs replacement, probably melted because of bad contact, it will heat up when it's not 100% in contact with each other.

And, it does not need a Logic board replacement, it is a separate board.

Yes you should be worried and you should be taking that in to Apple ASAP. I wouldn't charge it either, you could possibly cause a fire! Make sure you take in your MagSafe adapter as well. They may want to replace it also.

No offence T5BRICK but why are Americans always so dramatic, yes it can but in this case the pobability of it is Looooowwwww.
And, I know, I used to be a sparkie.

Last edited:

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
You could Contact them and send this Photo/Image to them, but I am pretty sure it needs replacement, probably melted because of bad contact, it will heat up when it's not 100% in contact with each other.

And, it does not need a Logic board replacement, it is a separate board.

No offence T5BRICK but why are Americans always so dramatic, yes it can but in this case the pobability of it is Looooowwwww.

How can you generalize Americans as dramatic from one persons post? Besides, his post wasn't dramatic, just stating facts.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
How can you generalize Americans as dramatic from one persons post? Besides, his post wasn't dramatic, just stating facts.

I should have added the word overall.

Facts, show me evidence on a place/house burned out by a faulty magsafe connector.

I am an electrical Engineer, I saw burned out Cabinets but it is rare to cause big fires, and in these cases I talk about high Amperes, like 10s-100s of Amps and more.

Adamantoise

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011

Facts, show me evidence on a place/house burned out by a faulty magsafe connector.

I am an electrical Engineer, I saw burned out Cabinets but it is rare to cause big fires, and in these cases I talk about high Amperes, like 10s-100s of Amps and more.

Don't be obtuse. It CAN cause a fire if it ignites near the right materials.

It would be foolish of anyone to leave that particular machine unattended while charging.

I'm an electrical engineer too, the best of us err on the side of caution.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA

Really? Have you not seen the pics on this website? There have been many instances when a fire has started at the outlet. Just do a search and I'm sure you'll find a few threads.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Really? Have you not seen the pics on this website? There have been many instances when a fire has started at the outlet. Just do a search and I'm sure you'll find a few threads.

Show me evidence on a place/house burned out by a faulty magsafe connector.

I for one can't find a place burned down.

-------

And to the other poster above(also an engineer)Edit: Adamantoise

These are all made of self distinguishing materials as most if not all required nowadays by standards or laws.
This does not burn, it is melting, there is no fire.
And if somebody puts anything flammable on this port I call them stupid.

Or like people leaving a laptop unattended on a bed, not smart.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

Hey cool, I'm an EE too.

I know it PROBABLY won't cause a fire, but the possibility still exists. I was simply trying to impress upon the OP in the simplest way possible that something bad might happen if he doesn't get it fixed.

I understand that most likely nothing will happen; but at the same time every year people try to fry frozen turkeys and they explode and cause fires. Every year people aren't careful with their christmas trees and houses burn down. Just trying to help someone avoid a potentially dangerous situation.

----------

Yes, it may not be smart, but it happens.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Hey cool, I'm an EE too.

I know it PROBABLY won't cause a fire, but the possibility still exists. I was simply trying to impress upon the OP in the simplest way possible that something bad might happen if he doesn't get it fixed.

I understand that most likely nothing will happen; but at the same time every year people try to fry frozen turkeys and they explode and cause fires. Every year people aren't careful with their christmas trees and houses burn down. Just trying to help someone avoid a potentially dangerous situation.

----------

Yes, it may not be smart, but it happens.

Yes, it exist but I also said the chance is low.(Very)

I just stated a few facts, that it is fairly uncommon for electrical fires in houses, most of them started by stupidity.
I am pretty sure Apple has guidelines on usage and safety, if people don't read and they mess up them that's their mistake.
And this is true for electronics in General.

Adamantoise

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
I for one can't find a place burned down.

-------

And to the other poster above(also an engineer)Edit: Adamantoise

These are all made of self distinguishing materials as most if not all required nowadays by standards or laws.
This does not burn, it is melting, there is no fire.

This is precisely the scenario I'm talking about. Charging this machine on a blanket or on a bed increases the possibility of a fire.

It's not stupid, it's a mistake that can be made by anyone if they're not aware that their machine's adapter is shorting out on them.

Hawkijustin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2012
Thanks everyone. Like I said I wont be charging it and I will be taking it to the apple store asap. How long can I expect a repair will take?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
This is precisely the scenario I'm talking about. Charging this machine on a blanket or on a bed increases the possibility of a fire.

It's not stupid, it's a mistake that can be made by anyone if they're not aware that their machine's adapter is shorting out on them.

Ok, stupid is the wrong word, I have to agree, not smart is better.
In my view it is common sense.
Like Hot coffee is hot.
Or that just cleaned floors can be slippery.
Ladders are unsafe.
And so on.

I wanted to do a search on Apples site to look for safety, didn't find yet.

BTW, I should stop, I am derailing this thread.

Edit:

MacBookPro Care

Last edited:

De5

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2012
Oh god... I'll be taking mine in for repair also ..

Attachments

• PC020018.JPG
    PC020018.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 5,775

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I used to be a PC tech and this is my assessment.

The dirt accumulated at the MS port (u can see the dirt clearly) causes the connectors not to mate solidly and cleanly. This and un-seen microscopic dirt between the gold pins themselves (carrying electricity) act like resistors. Electricity passing though resistors generate heat.

Fix: Keep connectors reasonably clean. No need to be OCD, once a month fine, unless you take ur laptop to constructions sites or work out in the sand-filled desert of Iraq.

Current problem: I would clean it, just so that the genius don't think you've been abusing the laptop and deny repair. Then bring it in anyways so they may replace the ugly, half-melted connector. From now on, clean.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I used to be a PC tech and this is my assessment.

The dirt accumulated at the MS port (u can see the dirt clearly) causes the connectors not to mate solidly and cleanly. This and un-seen microscopic dirt between the gold pins themselves (carrying electricity) act like resistors. Electricity passing though resistors generate heat.

Fix: Keep connectors reasonably clean. No need to be OCD, once a month fine, unless you take ur laptop to constructions sites or work out in the sand-filled desert of Iraq.

Current problem: I would clean it, just so that the genius don't think you've been abusing the laptop and deny repair. Then bring it in anyways so they may replace the ugly, half-melted connector. From now on, clean.

Good points, mostly agree, but the dirt you mention is not dirt, it's residue from the bad contact/plastics melting, smoke and so on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.