13" macbook pro enough for video editting?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by picklebum, Sep 9, 2010.

1. picklebum macrumors newbie

Not sure how much the video card affects video editting vs. other functions like gaming and/or 3D rendering. Would I be okay using a newer 13" macbook pro for HD video editting? :confused:

Thank you. :apple:

2. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

3. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

i think the screen might be too small, besides 1200x800 is not really what you would call a full HD 1080p resolution. CPU wise it might be okay, just takes a little longer then a core iX.

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

amateur level? Sure why not.

Pro level i.e. making money/day job. Clearly, no.

5. picklebum thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool, my PC laptop has similar specs, but stutters like crazy trying to even play raw HD videos. :(

The 13" is far from ideal, but what I can (barely) afford now.

6. smetvid macrumors 6502

Have you ever considered the base model iMac? Same exact price and the cpu and gpu are much faster not to mention you get a 21.5" 1920x1080 screen that HD video looks great on. Overall a much better HD editing system for the same amount of money.

You really have to ask yourself if you will be editing video while sitting at Starbucks. If you currently have a PC laptop then keep that for your portable mess around machine and get an iMac for editing.

7. picklebum thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your input!

I've considered it, but came to conclusion that I'd like to get rid of my PC altogether. If the PC was smaller (i.e. 13"), I'd probably keep it for the reasons you specified; however, it's substantially larger & quite a brick. :(

8. smetvid macrumors 6502

Well then do you really need your edit system to be portable?

I work full time as a designer/animator and I teach part time at a college and I use an iLugger bag to haul my iMac with me between home and both jobs. It is heavier and will never run without a power source but I rarely find myself in a situation where it has been an issue. Personally I'm getting an iPad for those moments when I'm in a waiting room and the iMac doesn't make sense.

I can tell you from personal experience that in the 4 years I owned a laptop I never did any real work away from home or the office and it ended up being used as a time filler if I was on a plane or train. I think that was kind of the theory behind the iPad in a way. You look at 99% of the stuff people do on their laptop in those environments and it is usually surfing the web, doing homework, writing a business document or playing a simple game.

Anyway I think you will be able to edit HD video on a 13" but it isn't exactly going to be very comfortable or easy. You will be future proofing yourself by getting a more powerful iMac instead of wishing 1 year from now that you had a bit more rendering power.

If you do insist that you need a portable machine at least consider getting a second cheap LCD monitor. Even a cheap one will do to at least give you a bigger screen to work with. Personally I prefer working with two screens with FCP regardless of the size of a single display. With a second larger monitor you could do your editing on the larger display and use the 13" display for your media bins.

9. picklebum thread starter macrumors newbie

I use the portability quite a bit, but realistically (after considering your comments), never for anything graphic intensive. Primarily use it for emails, some photo organizing, & really a glorified external hdd to move my files off my cameras. :)

I'll look into the iMacs a bit more seriously now, thank you for the perspective. :D

10. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

I second the iMac vote. You get a lot more bang for your buck with that machine vs the 13" MBP. Also have you considered a Apple refurbished machine?

11. jegbook macrumors regular

I apologize as this isn't relevant to the thread at all, but...

I just wanted to say that it was very refreshing to read such a positive exchange of ideas on MacRumors.

Kudos and keep up the good work!
    :)

12. LaazyEye macrumors regular

Ditto, this thread actually made me re-think my position on buying a beefed up 15" for video editing as well. I may just keep my thinkpad T40 running linux for my portable and spend the money i would have spent on the mbp plus extras (big external drive, cables, memory, ssd, etc) and splurge on a desktop

13. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

i did tons of editing on my 2007 macbook with a 2.16 ghz c2d and a gma 950 64 MB gpu, so will the enw on do it yes! hehe

14. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

here's the deal - i got a 13MBP (see sig), and yes, it is enough for video editing. (I shoot lots of HD footage with a canon rebel t2i).

BUT as many have said here already - if you are going to do this deal for real - you need something with a stronger CPU and especially a stronger GPU. Bottom line is this - once you get into color and motion, you'll need all the GPU you can get.

I've maxed mine out! I'm gonna upgrade the RAM soon, but eventually I'm either getting an i7 15 inch, or an iMac.

15. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Entry level yes. For anything above that you are better off with a desktop's processing power which would be at least 4-5x.