13" Macbook Pro External Display graphics distorted

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by XiaotOs, May 20, 2010.

1. XiaotOs macrumors newbie

I bought my 13" 2.4Ghz Macbook Pro 2010 a couple of weeks ago. Yaay~!
    Until I started playing World of Warcraft on it with a LG 21.5" monitor external display connected using DVI on 1600x1200 resolution. After 0.5 hr or so, the graphics starts getting distorted. Toolbars, NPC names, damages, my char's cloak started showing cubes. After exiting the game, the MAC OS desktop also show the same graphics problem. It happened constantly every night i played. Last night I tried playing on the 13" MBP monitor without the external display, it did not seem to have any problems for the entire night. What is the problem and what should i do?

2. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

could it be the monitor itself and not the graphics card?

3. XiaotOs thread starter macrumors newbie

Forgot to mention: after the graphics distortion occurred, when i open up my mbp, it will go back to mirroring display. its monitor also have the same graphics distortion.

4. Tom71 macrumors regular

Tom71

Sounds like gfx adapter overheating. Since you have integrated one, I'm not sure - can you check istatpro temperatures?

5. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Are you running the mbp in clamshell mode? If so, open it to allow better cooling.

Also try type /console maxfps 30 in WoW, it will limit your FPS, but keep the computer cooler

6. XiaotOs thread starter macrumors newbie

ok. i will check it tonight. above what temperature will cause this effect?

yes. clamshell mode. if i leave it open, i would have to play at mirror mode which doesn't allow me to make use of my monitor's high resolution or extended display mode which means playing wow in window mode. is there anyway to use clamshell mode with the mbp opened?

will try the command tonight. my guess is it will just prolong the time until the graphic distortion effect.

7. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Yes, close the MBP and hit a key to enable the screen on the other display.
    If you wait a few second you should be able to open the mbp and the screen will stay off, at least mine. I use it every day

8. XiaotOs thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah. it worked. and no more graphics distortion. thx guys.

9. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Seems like heating was the problem, keep a close look at your temperatures tho.