13" MacBook Pro for Uni

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Chris., Jul 19, 2009.

1. Chris. macrumors regular

Hi,

In September I will be going to University to study Computer Science (UK), I will therefore need a laptop for portability (I currently have an iMac). I am thinking of getting the entry-level 13" MacBook Pro, what I wanted to ask was do you think it is suitable for word processing, the odd bit of graphic work in Adobe Photoshop and programming (most likely in Windows)? In terms of performance, screen size and durability? (How well does the unibody enclosure cope with getting moved about?)

I will be buying it sometime in September, feedback would be grateful!
    Thanks.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

That machine will suit you just fine man. These unibody machines are built like mini tanks..

3. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

You mention Windows programming. I too have a MacBook Pro 13" and it's a great machine, but I haven't been able to get Boot Camp up and running in Windows 7. Just so you know ;)

4. adomanico18 macrumors member

adomanico18

go for the 15

I would definiately say the 15 or 17 just for workspace. The 13 will be much to small for what your looking at. I've got the 15 and its fantastic.

P.S. im also taking Comp Sci in fall too :)

5. ShiryuX macrumors member

ShiryuX

I have a friend who did some programming and photoshop whatnot, he used a 13" macbook and had no problems and all, loved the fact that it was extremely portable. Also saved him quite a bit of money seeing the macbooks cost alot more in Europe...

If you want to save some money I think 13" is fine. 15" if you have money to use. 17" isn't so portable and he already has an iMac so I don't see the utility there.

Seriously, if you already have a base desktop PC (iMac) with big screen, the MBP 13" is really useful to carry around imo

6. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

I have an older 15" and carry it all over the place at school. I know plenty of people who use the 17" as well. But I really can't see you using the discrete graphics on the higher end models considering you already have an iMac. I'd go with a 13" model unless the screen size bothers you.

7. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Works fine in VMWare, fyi.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Any Intel mac will do these things just fine.

9. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

I have...

10. ShiryuX macrumors member

ShiryuX

I think seeing as Vista works, and Seven has the same specs needed (1Ghz, 1GB RAM and such), normally any Macbook should be able to run Seven.

Try checking if it's a good install disc Sijmen, I even think 64-bit should work on the newer models (well, can anyone confirm? My plan is to do this as DX10 and such helps with games and XP 64-bit is apparently not so good after all).

11. opera57 macrumors 6502

I'm sure it will do everything you want with no problems. I got a Macbook air about a month ago and it runs Windows 7 with ease, and as the Macbook pro is more powerful i'm sure it will have no problems! [​IMG]

12. Chris. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone. I think the 13" screen size will be ok for me, as I have the 20" iMac if I need to do any work that requires a bigger screen.

Its basically just for using around the University - I'd rather use my own computer than the Uni's desktops :).

However, I think I will buy a bigger replacement hard drive, as I want to have a fair bit of space in both OS X & Windows.

Chris.