13" Macbook Pro for Used Air

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by whyrichard, Jul 23, 2012.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hey,

I am thinking of selling my Macbook Pro for an Air...

The macbook Pro is a:
    -13", 2.26ghz Core 2 Duo.
    -5 gb RAM
    -425 GB HD
    -OSX Lion
    -"Loaded with Software"

How much would this run in NYC's used market for mac's?

Also, which Air would be roughly the equivalent?
    Which Air should be preferable? I remember a huge upgrade a year or so ago...?

Thanks,

R

2. RedCroissant Suspended

There is no actual MBA equivalent because of the spec difference. To get an upgraded 13" MBA with roughly the same specs will cost $2,178. That's with upgrading the processor to 2.0GHz, the storage to 512(SSD)and adding a MBA superdrive

And where did you get a MBP with those strange specs, anyway? I say strange because I don't remember seeing a MBP with a 425GB HDD or 5 GB of RAM. And what does "loaded with software" mean?

3. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

by equivalent I suppose i mean monetary. essentially i'm buying out of the macbook pro (pre 2012) state of computing and buying into the 'Air' state of computing.

those strange specs are due to my own upgrades. I added my own ram and my own harddrive to a stock machine.

r.

4. RedCroissant, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012

RedCroissant Suspended

Well, if this is the 2009 version that was the first 13" unibody MBP, then my first estimate is wrong.

I think that moving over to the MBA would be a loss to you on storage space(but if that doesn't bother you) then I think your MBP could be worth around $750-$800(and that's if you have the box and accessories and other original supplies like the HDD). If someone was willing to trade their MBA for yours, then try and find someone with a previous generation one because Apple is selling a refurbished model now for $929.

Refurbished MacBook Air 1.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    Originally released July 2011
    13.3-inch (diagonal) high-resolution LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
    4GB memory
    128GB flash storage
    Thunderbolt port with support for up to 2560-by-1600 resolution
    FaceTime camera
    Intel HD Graphics 3000

with any generation of the air, you will sacrifice storage space and the ODD, but if your computing needs or desires have changed, then good luck.

A better option might be to just max out the RAM on that model and to remove the HDD you put it and even the ODD if you never use it. You could block the superdrive slot with a bracket and then just install a SSD instead. This would shave some weight off the computer and with maxed out RAM and a SSD, I think you'll be happier with the machine overall.