13" Macbook pro get in now or not

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vigu360, Mar 19, 2010.

  1. vigu360 macrumors member

    vigu360

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2009
    Location:
    Canada
    #1
    Sorry if this question is asked gazillion times in this forum, but my case is little more specific and as always I prefer to hear what others think on my case. I've a iMac that I bought in Nov 2009 and it's due to an update. I'm now in need of a Macbook pro and I have more lot of displays so I prefer 13" macbook pro just for the size. With all the hype about don't buy going on for macbook pro, I really want to know whether I have to wait. Considering if the updates are just for the processors and I suspect we will never see a i5 or i7 on a 13" display. Also since my iMac is close to getting an update I might update it with i7 later this year. So without considering the processors, will it be worth to wait for the update or can I just go pick a macbook pro 13" today?
     
  2. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

    Sean Dempsey

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2006
    #2


    The only update in the near future is going to be the processor speed. And it will just be a few % faster than the previous one, just like every single time they updated processor speeds.

    Fact of the matter is, unless you're a stat-hound or do serious hardcore HD video editing or 3D rendering on your MBP, you probably wouldn't know a difference between the current MBP and the next speed bump up.
     
  3. zipa macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2010
    #3
    If you think that a four months old computer (assuming that you bought it as new) is in need of an update, why would you even consider a ten months old laptop based on four years old architecture?
     
  4. Jett0516 macrumors 6502a

    Jett0516

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2010
    #4
    waiting is overrated.

    get it now at microcenter for $999.
     
  5. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2009
    Location:
    Exeter
    #5
    Totally agree with this. I'd wait a wee while.
     
  6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2007
    #6
    You say with such authority. Proof? At this point, anything is on the table. It could be a slight processor bump. Or it could revolutionize the notebook line with updated CPUs, GPUs, Interfaces and screens. Nobody knows.
     
  7. uburoibob macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2002
    Location:
    Location: Rochester, NY
    #7
    I've heard that there is to be a price reduction... but who knows for sure?
    :confused:
     
  8. King Apple macrumors regular

    King Apple

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2010
    #8
    i'd wait, who doesn't want an i5 or i7 processor?
     
  9. Alvi macrumors 65816

    Alvi

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2008
    Location:
    Mars
    #9
    I waited since Jan and gave up a week ago and bought one, all i know is that even the current one is FAST and i got a very good deal
     
  10. capacity macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2003
    #10
    If only we all had the means to consider a 4-month old computer "due for an update". I have a 6-year old PowerBook here that's due for an update. :p

    OP, it sounds like you could buy a 13" both today and when the MBPs have i-series processors.
     
  11. Hellishness macrumors 65816

    Hellishness

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2010
    Location:
    Bay Area, CA
    #11
    i agree with the guy who first corrected you. you really don't know. (period)

    for all we (you, me, everyone else on this thread...) know it could have an OLED screen behind the trackpad, an IPS display, and a shiny brushed finish (looking like the MBP 3D mock-up).
     
  12. zipa macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2010
    #12
    Nope.

    Oh well, I guess it depends on what you compare it to.
     
  13. seong macrumors 65816

    seong

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2010
    #13
    I am waiting too, and it's a good deal.

    If you are waiting even now, then you better wait more.
    The nVidia 9400m doesn't work well with Core i3/5/7, so there must be a update where Apple will get Intel's chip that works with nVidia 9400m, OR, Core i3/5/7 with better graphic cards from nVidia.
    I currently have GMA 950 and nVidia 9400m (my sister's), and I can tell a big difference. If, and it's 'if', Apple gets nVidia GeForce GT 325m, then I would definitely buy and be happy that you waited.:D
     
  14. Alvi macrumors 65816

    Alvi

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2008
    Location:
    Mars
    #14
    so the the one that will come out will make the current one look like a G3 iBook? i don't think so, yes the upgrades will make it faster, but it won't be that dramatic
     
  15. DctrJ macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2010
    #15
    I followed the "Waiting for Arrandale" thread for a couple months then I just went out and bought a 15" 2.53. I'm enjoying it and those poor people on on the "Waiting" thread are still seeing rumors of new MBP's in cloud formations. My rationale was that I'm not a power user, there might be problems with the first revision of new processors etc. and if it does come out and I have to have it I can sell mine and loose a couple hundred bucks. The deal at MicroCenter for the 13" means you might not loose much at all if you resell.
     
  16. vigu360 thread starter macrumors member

    vigu360

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2009
    Location:
    Canada
    #16
    2008 not 2009

    Ah guys thanks for replies and it's a 2008 Nov iMac and not 2009 sorry for that..... I decided to wait a little more may be 15 days as Intel just posted some comments on delivering chips and I'm sure Apple may be planning a release close to iPad as that will create more hype... I will wait another 15 days if not I'm getting one.
     
  17. zipa macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2010
    #17
    Also, if you really want to buy one now, I'd recommend getting the standard Macbook instead of the MBP unless you stumble across a really good deal or really, really need some of the "exclusive" features on the MBP.
     
  18. SA22C macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2010
    Location:
    Top Gear Test Track.
    #18
    That's a good approach, I think.

    I got tired of waiting and am very happy with my 13 inch MBP.
     
  19. vigu360 thread starter macrumors member

    vigu360

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2009
    Location:
    Canada
    #19
    "Not to worry" - Steve Jobs

    Guys I guess we will soon seen an update.. but I like the unibody so I can't go for the standard one.. the only reason I'm holding is to give me a satisfaction. If I get one now and it doesnt mean when updates come my macbook pro will be slow or dead but the satisfaction sure is dead. Also 15 days wait will give me 29 days of window so I can return if an update is announced without any problem
     
  20. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

    mikes70mustang

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2008
    Location:
    US
    #20
    I hardly see how this case is any different from all the other threads already on this subject.
     
  21. FnuGk macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2009
    #21
    Nvidia are not allowed to make chipsets to the core ix line so it cant have the 9400m in it so they HAVE to give it an other gfx so it is NOT only a processor upgrade
     
  22. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

    Sean Dempsey

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2006
    #22
    Or, it has nothing but a processor bump, and not even have that until Q3 of 2010. "Not knowing" moves both directions.

    What we KNOW is that BestBuy has these computers for sale, and every single one of them surpassed prosumer speed requirements years ago.

    Seriously, do you buy a new car of the same make/model every year? THE NEW FORD FOCUS IS 3MPH FASTER IN 3RD GEAR!!!!!! ITS DUE FOR AN UPDATE!!!!!!
     
  23. Linkzi macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2010
    #23
    Still waiting? Get a refurbished 13" MBP for $999, upgrade the RAM to 4GB, upgrade the HD to 7200RPM, then sell it for minimum loss if you want the updated version in the future. Watch the Apple refurbished store and they will appear and disappear quickly.
     
  24. Hellishness macrumors 65816

    Hellishness

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2010
    Location:
    Bay Area, CA
    #24
    yes, it does move both directions, but you said with great certainty that it will ONLY be a processor bump, and while you may be right, you also may be wrong (going both directions, good or bad).
     
  25. w4rmk macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2006
    #25
    Apple needs to get with the progam

    Being a Mac fan myself I think it's sad that Apple stays too far behind the technology curve. Right now 2 cores is most you can get in their portables. For those like me who regularly run virtual machines (VMWare Fusion) 2 cores just doesn't cut it, come on Apple we need 4 cores. Having 4 cores allows me to run 2 cores for the primary O/S and 2 cores for the VM O/S. And for those occasions when 3 VMs are running at the same time having 4 cores is an absolute requirement. The difference in performance is night and day. Windows laptops have had quad cores for over a year now. While I'm on my soapbox, Apple you really need to start offering blu-ray drives as well.
     

Share This Page