13" MacBook Pro hard drive problem (I think)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zeppelin2626, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Zeppelin2626 macrumors newbie

So about a week ago while surfing the good ol' Internet, my year and 3 month old 13" MacBook Pro decided to freeze. After trying to force quit safari, and staring at the colorful spinning beach ball for a few minutes, I decided to hit the power button. After turning the machine off, I hit the button again and upon "startup" I was greeted with a nice question mark folder icon. I had no idea what this meant so I grabbed my iPod touch (which is what I'm typing this on) and did some research. I read that it's more than likely a failed hard drive. I read that resetting the ram by holding down control option p and r on startup sometimes does the trick, and it did about 5 times. When this would randomly work, it would only be for about 10 minutes then it would freeze up again. I then put in the installation disk, and of course the hard drive doesn't appear in disk utility.
    I finally decided to just buy a new hard drive (320 Gb wd Scorpio black) and install it myself. So I plugged it in and hoped for the best. Nothing changed unfortunately. No drives are detected I. Disk utility. I'm beginning to think that my hard drive wasn't the problem at all, but I honestly have no idea. If anyone has an idea as to what might be happening, your advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

http://guides.macrumors.com/Mac_doesn't_boot

If the HD is not recognized, then it looks like it's a logic board issue. Can you try the new HD with another computer to make sure it works? You could take it to Apple and let them have a look

3. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

It sounds like the logic board, but you might as well be sure. Why don't you run a hardware test on it? The software is on the install disks that came with your macbook, and should flag any hardware errors (including the logic board, IIRC).

Here's more on the testing software and its use: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509

4. Zeppelin2626 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Thanks for the replies. I forgot to mention that I did run the hardware test and it said everything was fine, but I will run it again today.

5. Zeppelin2626 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Just ran the extended hardware test and it says "no trouble found" and at the bottom it says "pass number: 1". Not sure what that means exactly.

6. Zeppelin2626 thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone?

7. Zeppelin2626 thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone?