13" MacBook Pro Hard drive problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ramenstien, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Ramenstien macrumors newbie

So, last night I came home from work and attempted to cut on my computer. Assuming that nothing was wrong with it at the time because less than 8 hours before then I was using it.

When I tried to start it it stayed on the boot up screen and the wheel of dots kept spinning. I gae it some time just thinking that maybe it was being slow. But after a couple of minutes I shut it off. I tried at least three more times but I had no luck.

I started it using CMD+R and attempted to repair the permissions and the disk. Unfortunately this didn't work either. Today I tried to do the same with the installation disk, this didn't fix it either.

Is there anything I can do to fix it myself? Unfortunately someone needed an external hard drive a couple of weeks ago and I assumed that my Mac would be ok so I let them use it to back up their computer.. Boy do I regret that now.... I don't live very close to an Apple store so taking it to them is a bit of a stretch. I was wondering if it was possible to create a time machine backup from the installation disk? I don't know if thats possible but it was just a thought I had.

Thanks for any and all help.

2. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

Can you run the AHT (Apple Hardware Tests) from your original media...I have to say, it sounds like a dead or dying HDD:
    http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/aht.html

The link above is posted as Apple have archived the original document due to the implementation of ML.

If you can't run the tests, you need to get hold of a copy of OSX on a USB stick and try installation from there..If that fails too, It's back to Apple I think:

http://www.informationweek.com/byte...o-create-an-os-x-mountain-lion-inst/240005446

3. Ramenstien thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I will try that and see if it works.

Is there any way to get my files off of my hard drive without getting into the computer? I feel really stupid for lending out my hard drive. Because ever since I've had my MacBook I have been backing it up ever so often.. and then this happens... Thanks for all the help though! Also, will Apple make me pay to get the hard drive fixed since it died? Its a mid-2010 model I believe.

4. Macman45, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012

Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

Until you can access that drive, and without spending $$$$ on data recovery then no I'm afraid. Good luck with the tests.

If you can remove the drive you could try it in a caddy..If it works in there then it could be a faulty Logic Board you are dealing with.

5. Ramenstien thread starter macrumors newbie

Well its currently running the tests, is this a good sign or?

6. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

Until they have completed It's not easy to say...But if they are running then you have a chance...Post back with the results..:)

7. Ramenstien thread starter macrumors newbie

Well the results say that there is nothing wrong. So... I'm not exactly sure where to go from here.

8. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

AHT is not always accurate. Can you access Disk Utility from a safe boot?

:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

If you can, the drive nay be repairable from there.

9. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

If you have a second Mac available you could boot your MBP to target disk mode and plug it into your other Mac via firewire. If the HDD is working you should be able to manually copy the files you need to back up.

After backing up your data, you can work on fixing the problem. I'd try simply reinstalling OSX. There used to be an "Archive and install" option on older version of OSX, I don't know what it is called now but a similar option should still be available.