13" MacBook Pro - High Res & Antiglare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Coswyn, May 13, 2010.

?

Would you buy a 13" MacBook Pro with a High Res & Antiglare screen?

1. Yes, and I currently own a 13" Glossy MBP

26 vote(s)
    24.3%
  2. Yes, and I currently own another MBP

25 vote(s)
    23.4%
  3. Yes, and I don't currently own a Mac

10 vote(s)
    9.3%
  4. No, I prefer Glossy screens

22 vote(s)
    20.6%
  5. No, 13" is too small

17 vote(s)
    15.9%
  6. No, I don't like Macs

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  7. Other (see comments)

6 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. Coswyn macrumors member

Coswyn

It has been about a month since Apple refreshed its MacBook Pro line, and about two months since I entered the market for a new notebook. I had my hopes up for a 13" MBP with a high resolution (1440x900) and antiglare option and was very disappointed when they updated all of the screens except those of the 13" models.

I still haven't settled on an option (even after extensive consideration of the Lenovo ThinkPad and Dell Latitude lines as potential alternatives) and I'm starting to wonder if I should hold out for a screen upgrade on the 13" MBP.

What are the chances of Apple upgrading it this year? Also, anyone have any thoughts on the matte film that can be applied to a screen vs the true factory antiglare option (particularly how effective the film is with reducing reflections and much detail and color it preserves)?

2. kolax macrumors G3

13" Anti-Glare.

1280x800 would be nice as an option.

Also, a thinner bezel (as thin as the 17" would be fantastic). I hate thick bezels!

3. Coswyn thread starter macrumors member

Coswyn

I share your interest in a thinner bezel, but that would mean either shrinking the entire notebook by whatever amount you cut the bezel down, or increasing the screen size (perhaps a 14.1" with 1440x900) while keeping the overall unit size the same. I wouldn't be opposed to either.

4. Coswyn thread starter macrumors member

Coswyn

Apple has made minor updates before, and with part shortages I wonder if they wouldn't make that minor upgrade this summer (perhaps even at WWDC?). Unlikely, I know, but I'm not one to abandon hope.:)

5. m85476585 macrumors 65816

They should also lose the CD drive and use that space to
    -Add an expresscard slot
    -Make the battery larger
    -Add a faster CPU (i5) and discrete GPU
    -Expand the cooling system to handle it
    -Add some kind of fast interface, such as eSATA, USB3, or Lightpeak

Then I would buy one. Call the current 13" a Macbook, drop the plastic Macbook (or not), and sell the one I just described as a MBP for $2000.

Apple removes "features" from the 13" to try to push people to buy a more expensive larger model, but what they don't seem to understand is that people might pay more for a smaller computer because it is smaller and more portable.

6. Coswyn thread starter macrumors member

Coswyn

Given that the MB starts at $1000 and the MBP at $1200, you're currently paying $200 more for a faster processor, more RAM, more ports, a better GPU, better battery life, and a more rugged and elegant case. I call that a great deal. I'll bet that by early 2011 they will significantly drop the cost on the MB ($800 or less) with upgraded features, or discontinue it entirely in favor of a comparable MBP with a $1000 starting price.

The problem with getting rid of the SuperDrive is that most people still install externally via discs. I think it would be nice if they increased the size of the cut in the case and made it swappable, or perhaps they could start a solid state revolution and start including all of their media on thumb drives - even have a program that allows you to return the thumb drives for small reimbursement so they don't become as wastefully prevalent as discs.

7. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

I own a 13" MBP and I like the glossy screen. I would love for there to be an option for the ones who would want it however. As far as higher res, I'd like that for myself as well.

8. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Anyone who wants a CD drive could get the hypothetical aluminum Macbook. For the MBP, they can sell external CD drives. For the amount that I use it, I'd rather have it be external and use the space in the laptop for something better. A second hard drive would be another good option.

Basically they would keep the MB and 13" MBP as-is, but call them both Macbooks. Then add on a higher end model under the Macbook Pro name.

Of course, given the trend Apple has been following recently, it probably won't be long before their computers are just shiny toys with really long battery life. Or did I just describe an iPad?

9. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

i wish they offered antiglare for 13!!!! i hate how it reflects....piece of ppoooopp!!

10. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

What chance? The same as Hell freezing over.

11. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

TechRestore.com will exchange your glossy display for a matte display of equal quality installed for $200.
    It will be 1280x800 though.

Personally the resolution increase to 1440x900 is not as much of an issue as the glossy versus matte issue. I really think Apple should offer a matte option on all four resolutions of displays they make (1280, 1440, 1680, and 1920).

12. Coswyn thread starter macrumors member

Coswyn

[​IMG]

...those are the number of months between updates on the MacBook Pro line since late 2002. If you go by that it looks to me like we're due for another minor one sometime soon. The little that was done for the 13" lends to that, but the iPad and iPhone releases complicate it.

I would say it's the same chance as hell dropping a few degrees.:cool:

13. Coswyn thread starter macrumors member

Coswyn

That's good to know, I had no idea someone offered that. Can anyone vouch for the quality of the screen swap?

14. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

+1... nice post. The optical drive is a joke, and all it does is reduce usable space that could allow another USB port, Express Card Slot, and a discrete GPU! More than anything a "Pro" Mac should have a dedicated graphics card with at least 512 MB VRAM.

15. Coswyn thread starter macrumors member

Coswyn

Seems about 60% of Mac fans would buy a high-resolution antiglare 13" MBP. I hope Apple gives in to customer request on this.

16. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

I'd love a 13" anti glare option (and higher res would be nice), my old (2006) Macbook is still o.k., and the glossy screen isn't so bad on this model (the colour variation from top to bottom is bad though).

Think I'll be waiting a while though.

17. FRiC macrumors member

That's probably only people who read forums and vote on polls. At work, we're standardized on ThinkPads except for my lone MacBook (White!). The comments I hear every day is how shiny and beautiful my MacBook is, while all the ThinkPads are so dim, have tiny text, and ugly black. And all my MacBook loving friends adore their shiny screens and look down on matte screens.

But I want a dim screen and tiny text! :eek:

18. Coswyn thread starter macrumors member

Coswyn

Haha! That's really the only downside to the 13" MBP, as far as I'm concerned. The ThinkPad X301 and the 13" MBP are the two at the top of my list right now. Some would say the X201/s is more comparable to the 13" MBP, but the construction quality (the X301 is arguably the best-built X-series ThinkPad ultra-portable in a while) and screen size (13") make up for the performance discrepancies (the X301 unfortunately has a low-volt C2D). The primary advantages that the X301 has over the 13" MBP are the trackpoint navigation device (which I'm well used to), the matte finish on the screen, and the high resolution (1440x900 on a 13" is ideal, in my opinion). Though I prefer the trackpoint, MBP line arguably has the best touchpad on the market - because of its superb quality it's the only alternative that I would trade a trackpoint for. But the 13" MBP's LCD, despite its overall quality, only comes in a glossy and relatively low resolution option.

So it's a race between Lenovo and Apple for me: either Lenovo will upgrade the processor (and hopefully graphics card) on the X301 first, or Apple will beat them to the mark with a 1440x900 antiglare option on the 13" MBP. As much as I hope for both, neither is likely to happen soon, so I'm teetering on the edge of waiting or settling on one or the other and eventually trading up.

19. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Ah, the 13" was just updated (not minor) a few weeks ago. No minor update till this fall.

20. Mirabella macrumors regular

I chose "No, 13" is too small". Just to give you context, I use my MBP primarily for my photography business.

21. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I would like antiglare on the 13" MBP,i don't like how some want the optical drive removed though,i'm one of the few who still use it. I would also like to see the new Core i3 in the 13" MBP instead of the C2D.

22. Coswyn thread starter macrumors member

Coswyn

Adding a new graphics card, bumping up the RAM, and slightly increasing the brightness of the screen and speed of the processor is minor. The 15" and 17", on the other hand, updated in the same areas as the 13" but with entirely new processors and higher resolution antiglare screens - the latter which are the features in question. But I hope you're right about it happening in the fall [at the latest].

23. Coswyn thread starter macrumors member

Coswyn

Perfectly understandable. I wouldn't consider the 13" a desktop replacement for those who do very hardware-intensive work and require a larger format screen. I hope you can at least agree that the 13" MBP is [or can be for everyone, with said upgrade options,] an ideal ultra-portable for on-the-go everyday use (with enough potential for the occasional weighty workload).:)

24. Coswyn thread starter macrumors member

Coswyn

Yeah, I doubt you'll see the SuperDrive disappear anytime soon - I'm sure they would offer something in its place as an option before completely doing away with it.

There are currently two 13" MBPs. It would be nice to see one get an i3 and the other an i5 (and, again, higher resolution antiglare options). With the Arrondale shortages we've seen for the last several months it's understandable that Apple was not able to meet the demand, but when supplies are replenished hopefully Apple will schedule a mid-year mini-refresh.