13 Macbook Pro is saying Ambient is way higher than it is??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Saviorrisen, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Saviorrisen macrumors newbie

With istat pro, it is reporting that my ambient temperature is 36, while it is only 23 in our place. Everything else is very low for the temp:

HD 29
    enclosure base 1,2,3 29,29,30
    heatsink 37
    mem bank 34
    mem module 42

Anyways, why is it reading that the ambient is so high?

2. Saviorrisen thread starter macrumors newbie

Do these things even have ambient air sensors? Maybe the istat pro widget is picking something else up?

3. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Ambient is a relative term..

I cannot say, but let's guess that the ONLY Ambient the computer can sense is the area surrounding the unit itself.. Maybe it IS that temperature nearby.. There are obviously No Remote Probes involved.. Methinks..

Someone wiser than me will perhaps chime in here.. I'm curious to know as well.. ;)

4. Saviorrisen thread starter macrumors newbie

It's odd because in all my searching online I can't find anything like this. Maybe it's okay and I shouldn't worry. I just don't want my fan kicking in because it thinks it's too hot or something.. maybe the ambient temp doesn't have anything to do with the fan, I don't really know..

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

CPU and GPU temps are what matters to the fan's algorithm, the rest are for informational purposes only.

6. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

It's not like there's an ambient air sensor sticking out of the Macbook, so it can't take an actual ambient temp. Maybe it's the incoming air which is already being heated up a little bit and the sensor is within the case.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Ambient temperature is the temperature inside your Mac, but not attached to a processor or heatsink. It's usually mounted somewhere on the motherboard away from the other components.