13" MacBook Pro Music Skipping

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ericgarcia2010, Nov 7, 2011.

1. ericgarcia2010 macrumors member

I have a 13" Macbook Pro
    2.3 GHz i5
    4GB of ram
    OSX 10.7.2

The only programs open are: Chrome, iTunes, Mail, and Skype. The music from itunes keeps skipping, it was doing it as fast as every 2 seconds, now it does it every now and then. It's been going on for a while but I just got annoyed with it since it's doing it more recently. Any help/suggestions?

2. robgoblin macrumors member

got a 15 inch 2.2 i7 quad core, and it does the same, whenever i try to load gmail, ( which seems to b hogging quite a lot of cpu ) and run itunes at the same time, music lags and skips. weird since my earlier macbook from 2008 didnt experience this. pisses me off, since i just bought it... but got no clue what it is. slow harddrive maybe? mine runs at 5400

3. mape2k macrumors regular

5400rpm HDDs are not necessarily slower than 7200rpm ones.

On topic: Check you activity monitor, maybe some process is going wild stealing away CPU load? I would close all programs and open one at a time to check which program is causing the skipping.

4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

A 5400rpm hard drive is plenty fast enough to play music off. Modern 5400rpm drives will do a sustained 70MB/sec on a bad day. CD Audio which is uncompressed is 150KB/sec (ie 1x). You could probably stream an AAC file off a floppy disk if you tried.

It's more likely to be an iTunes problem in my opinion. There's plenty of reports of iTunes 10.5 corrupting playback of known good files on the Apple Discussion boards.

5. robgoblin macrumors member

ye it must be itunes, im running logic with hundred channels of audio, no prob, then playing an mp3 in itunes is lagging. theres always something.. like how if i run a heavy logic session thru internal speakers the vibration ticks of the sudden motion sensor and force quits the drive. :(:(:(