Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

It'sJustMe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
Hello, I am a new member to this board, with a question about the 500GB Macbook Pro.

I've been a long-time PC user, but have been wanting to make the shift to Apple. I would like to purchase the product listed above, but I'd like to avoid purchasing it before a potential update to it. However, I begin graduate school in mid-August, and I would like to have some time to become accustomed to the Macbook Pro. Sort of caught in the middle.

My question is: if there is an update coming to this model, when would it happen? Is it worth waiting until that time to purchase the computer? Are there rumors of any potential updates?

Well, I guess that's more than one question - hope you'll all understand. LOL

Thanks for reading. I look forward to any and all responses.

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
I just bought the 15" model 2 weeks ago and was debating the same question you are.

The Intel Haswell chip set isn't set to come out til summer, thus making the update late summer or so.

Honestly, with the i7 you cannot go wrong. I have launched many heavy usage programs simultaneously without the faintest hint of a bog down.

I'd go with the current retina model....you won't regret it. Even with the update comes out, you'll still have one of the best laptops available.

It'sJustMe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
I just bought the 15" model 2 weeks ago and was debating the same question you are.

The Intel Haswell chip set isn't set to come out til summer, thus making the update late summer or so.

Honestly, with the i7 you cannot go wrong. I have launched many heavy usage programs simultaneously without the faintest hint of a bog down.

I'd go with the current retina model....you won't regret it. Even with the update comes out, you'll still have one of the best laptops available.

Thanks for the quick response!

My budget restricts me to the 13" non-retina model, unfortunately. Otherwise, I'd be all over it.

vatter69

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Buy refurb, expands your budget ;)

Same warranty, most likely even better quality since Apple tested.

AroundTheFur922

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2013
NJ
I bought the standard 13" pro 4GB/500GB about a month ago and have been very impressed even with the most basic configuration. I was a Windows user my whole life prior to the switch last month and the transition is shockingly smooth. The build of the hardware alone will justify your purchase as the keyboard is a game-changer in it's feel and even the sound of the lid closing (almost like the sound of an expensive oak box closing) leaves you with a sense of satisfaction. Even with the stock 4GB RAM and 5,400RPM HDD apps and browser tabs respond almost instantaneously. I added a SSD and doubled the RAM for around $250 and this thing absolutely flies now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.