13" MacBook Pro randomly shut off?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by homeagain, Dec 17, 2012.

1. homeagain macrumors newbie

Hey guys. So on November 16th, 2012, I removed my MacBook's keyboard cover while eating (like a complete idiot) and spilled enough orange juice on my MacBook for it to shut off. I left it to dry and the next day I took it to the Genius Bar. the guy told me the keyboards were typing the wrong letters because it appeared to have water damage and the logic board was beginning to corrode (I don't know if he actually saw corrosion or if he was just saying that) and basically it would be ***$755*** to send it in for repair.

Anyway, I didn't pay it, and instead I left it to dry for a week. I plugged it in and to my surprise, the battery indicator light was green, which it wasn't doing when it first got damaged. I pressed the power button and it turned on! It was working perfectly with the exclusion of keyboard buttons on the right hand side being sticky or hard.

It's been working perfectly everyday since until earlier today. I used it when I woke up and when I got to the library, it was working for 20 minutes. I plugged my usb cord into my ipod and then my laptop to listen to music and it was working for a song or two, until it disconnected randomly and I kept trying to get it to work. then, when I took the USB cord out of the MacBook, it shut off COMPLEtELY, giving me a black screen.

When I plug my battery in, the light on it is a VERY dim green and it is flashing. the battery indicator lights on the side don't work at all (they did when it first got damaged).

So my question is, do any of you have an idea what this can possibly mean? Does this mean my logic board is completely FRIED or should I give it a couple more days?

Sorry for the wordy question. It's my first Macbook, i just got it in August and I should have been more careful...:(

2. duckrabbit macrumors member

I'd say you probably need a logic board replacement :(
    The full effects of water damage usually take a while to present themselves.

3. homeagain thread starter macrumors newbie

Hopefully it's just the logic board...
    It sucks that AppleCare can't repair this...unless I get the nicest Apple Genius in the world.

4. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

That sounds like your logic board corroded.
    It can possibly be your logic board and could go to your battery as well.

And AppleCare doesnt cover accidental damage.
    I would talk to your insurance company or other stores for cares like that.

5. homeagain thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you know if the AppleCare warranty is void when you get it repaired but not through the Apple company?

6. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I think it does.
    Since Apple can refuse to repair your computer for free if they see any water damage.
    And replacing parts mean changing serial numbers on the boards correct?
    That sure will void the warranty.

7. homeagain thread starter macrumors newbie

Aghh, well I'd rather pay $220 than $755 and treat it like my own child so as to avoid ANY more type of damage.

8. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Yeah contact insurance company or places like best buy for accidental coverage.