13" Macbook Pro Release Rumor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by njgilligan, Nov 15, 2010.

1. njgilligan macrumors newbie

I've heard several rumors that the macbook pro will be updated within a relatively short period of time. Most recently, the most reasonable sounding speculation is that the 13" MB pros will be updated and the 15 and 17inchers will be left alone for now.

Any thoughts?

I hope to see a dedicated gpu card in the 13" form factor (no more shared memory). Every other spec I couldn't care much less about.

And please don't start with that "nobody knows, its all speculation"
    This is macRUMORS isn't it?

2. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I won't start with that, instead I will start with this...

http://mroogle.*************/

Use it, there are hundreds of threads about this a week.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Ah, a fresh topic.

Where have you heard those several rumours and can you provide links or any other information to those?

The 13" MBP is still too small to get a dedicated GPU, maybe when the ODD is removed, it will get one, especially as Intel's IGPs are subpar.

And no to МРoогле, that does not solve anything.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There have been no trustworthy rumors about next gen MBPs.

5. njgilligan thread starter macrumors newbie

No links. Mostly word of mouth.

1) I've talked to numerous Apple salesmen who have seen the updates come and go, and not one has advised me that I should buy now because an update is far off.

2) There are large discounts on them (MicroCenter's selling em for $999) as if they're clearing inventory.

3) The buyer's guide says its overdue for an update

4) It seems illogical to update the airs to higher specs and leave a pro model without dedicated gpu. Why have a pro if it isn't capable of "pro-level" performance? (profit is obviously the driving force here instead of logic, but if you're reading this, Steve Jobs, you can have my ~$1200 as soon as I can have a 13" mbp with discreet video)

I'd rather see a 14" mbp with dedicated graphics or a shortened battery life to accommodate it but I strongly doubt that would happen.

6. njgilligan thread starter macrumors newbie

good point.

But this is MacRumors.com not TrustworthyMacRumors.com. I guess this post is partially driven by my wishful thinking, but it does seem to be time for an update.

7. dpru macrumors newbie

I still think the most probable time for a MBP update is in January. Also, they will most likely update all the MBP, not just the 13".

January is good because it gives Apple a chance to clear their inventory using the Christmas holiday as a mechanism for doing so. Then, with their inventory cleared, they can start fresh with new MBPs at the new year.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1. Apple salesmen are known to know nothing. Just because one of them thinks there may be an update soon doesn't mean anything. They get no special information from Apple

2. MicroCenter has always been selling them for less AFAIK. When they are hitting no stock, then an update may be imminent

3. Look at the recent updates, not the ones in 2005. You should see that the time between updates has been 8-10 months. It's been only 7 months since the latest update so I would expect an update "within a relatively short period of time".

Besides, Q1 2011 is the only reasonable time to update MBPs since new CPUs from both, Intel and AMD are coming plus new GPUs from ATI.

4. MBA does not have discrete GPU. It's "Pro" because of marketing, it sells better. It has nothing to do with its specs. Discrete GPU may to may not be added, there are plenty of options.

9. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

The people at the Apple retail stores? I personally know someone who just became an Apple "Genius" so I can tell you that you should not trust them to know any inside Apple news. It's just a retail job, they don't get an real advance info from Apple Corporate.

10. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I'd be happy for the OD to be removed in the 13" MBP and be replaced with battery and more bits and pecies to make it a better machine :)

BTW: There have been a TON of topics created on the subject of the 13" MBP :p

11. tivoboy macrumors 68030

man

Man, I was JUST about to buy one of these for my nephew, 13" MBP. Hate it when I do and a new one comes out. I normally ride it out a couple generations with MY purchases.

12. MisterFeeney macrumors 6502

1: Apple Salesman are not given information about future Macs, they are there to sell a product and assist you with any questions you may have. The salesman gave you an opinion, nothing more than that.

2: Apple stores would be doing the same. After a new product is released, or if an entire line is updated, Apple stores begin to sell the older models at a discount... not before the product is released. An education discount gets the price around $1000.

3: The buyers guide goes by days since the previous update and is not always accurate.

4: There are quite a few reasons to buy the 13" pro over the air.

13. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Mostly everyone rides it out a couple of generations ;)

14. deeddawg macrumors 604

Will the current generation fulfill his needs? What is there in the to-be-released model that you know for sure will be there that will materially enhance his usage of the system?

It is my opinion that unless the existing system is marginal in terms of filling his needs, there's no logical reason to wait other than the fact that it might not be the latest & greatest in three or four months.

15. njgilligan thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd say go for it. I'd buy the current gen if I were in a rush because it seems fine and I don't need it for video editing or anything. The only reason I'm waiting/making a stink is because I'm a spoiled windows convert coming from a quad core desktop with 1GB of VRam and I'm afraid I'll miss playing games at 1080p with high anti aliasing and all that fun stuff.