13" Macbook Pro Retina - 128 or 256GB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LiamJ27, Sep 28, 2014.

1. LiamJ27 macrumors newbie

I'll be buying my first MacBook (the 2014 13" Pro w/ Retina Display), but I'm not sure exactly which model to get, in terms of storage space - the 128GB or the 256GB model.

I will be using the laptop for everyday internet browsing and emails, as well as iTunes and watching movies etc. - which wouldn't need all that much space. However, I'm also a photographer (so tend to use Adobe Photoshop quite frequently) and will be a Uni student in a few months time (so will use even more documents etc than I already do).

My question to you is should I just save $250, buy the 128GB model and use my external hard drive as a storage system for my films, TV shows, music and photographs; or should I bite the bullet and spend the full $1849 on the 256GB model and be able to at least store my music and my latest/favourite photographs on the macbook too (so then I have a backup on the hard drive)?

If it's any help, I have around 40GB of music, around 70GB of jpeg and raw photos, and over 300GB of films/TV shows.

Also, possible stupid question, but will my local Apple store likely (official store, not authorised reseller) have the macbook in stock? I plan on calling to check anyway.

2. ostrykolesz macrumors member

I would get the 256 GB model. You will eat through 128 GB's pretty quickly...

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I would go for the 256 GB model based on your needs. You may be able to save some money by ordering a refurbished model or out of the Apple Education store.

4. fedecape macrumors 6502

fedecape

256. As the guy above said, look for refurbished models and also try to get student discount. It doesn't really matter if you are not a student yet.