13" Macbook Pro Screen res

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dylin, Dec 31, 2011.

1. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

Why did 13 inch macbook airs they have a 1440 by 900 resolution but decided to keep the 1280 by 800 resolution on the 13 inch macbook pros that were released after those MBA?

2. BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

I just bought an "early 2011" MBP and didn't realize there was a difference until now. Good question.

3. macdudesir macrumors 6502

Maybe they wants to give people an extra reason to get the 13 inch air instead of the pro...It seems to have worked lol. :rolleyes:

4. salacious macrumors 6502a

while it is a shame, i must say that the mbp screen for me is much better, and the air serves no purpose to me as a machine, yes the resolution is bad but if your like me and use a hd cable, you have 1080p at your disposal.. so im not too bothered, the next mbp im aiming for will be a 15" as my 13" can get sore on the eyes sometimes when editing on my travels... i hope the rumors are true though of double resolution :)

5. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

It is a 1280x800 screen resolution. To be honest, with it having the new Spaces inside of Mission Control, etc, the screen hasn't been too limiting for me, and I am able to work with it just fine. Text and images still look very sharp, and the color beats the air.

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Why? I don't know. Some possible reasons:

- MBP users can buy the 15'' model if they want a bigger screen... MBA users can not do that (yet)
    - The 13'' MBP is cheaper
    - MBP might be getting a redesign in 2012 anyways, so they didn't want to waste money in between
    - people like the current resolution

7. bill-p macrumors 65816

Because the Pros use the same screen technology that has been used since... 2008. It's costly to rework the fabs for a different kind of screen.

On the other hand, the Air uses a completely different screen that's thinner, and based on newer technology so it can afford more pixels. What it can't afford is better color quality, and when Apple decides to revamp the Pro line, no doubt the 13" would have the same resolution but with better colors. Or we might even see a 2560 x 1600 screen for the 13" for HiDPI. In such a case, the 1280 x 800 resolution on the 13" right now makes perfect sense (when they double it).

8. dylin thread starter macrumors 6502a

dylin

Yea that makes sense. Alright well thanks for the replies you guys. So Maybe about the next refresh or whenever, they may include the new HiDPI screens. But in all honesty i still think that may take awhile but hopefully im wrong.

9. bill-p macrumors 65816

HiDPI is already more or less a done deal in Lion. I'd think that Apple would only include the feature if it was to be used at some point.

Personally, my guess is that it's next year. It'll be right on track for them to introduce an all-high-res move to all of their devices (iPad, Macbook, iPhone), and it'll give that much needed differentiator between a Pro and a non-Pro device.

10. robvas macrumors 68020

My money is on this being the reason. The 15" is a rip-off.