13" macbook pro screen resolution problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sab150, Aug 22, 2009.

1. sab150 macrumors regular

hey traded my macbook pro in today for a replacement and it looks nowhere near as good as my old one!

sounds crazy i know.. but i checked both panels and they are exact same make (9cbd) but out the box this one looks nowhere near as good, the fonts look grainy and have a slight sepia hue to them.. i have tried calibrating but can get anything like what the old one was getting!

is this possible? or are there any font smoothing setting i should check out?

2. naelamer macrumors member

macbook pro 13 has an awesome screen with high resolution, and I can say yes very rich colour screen, I have same wallpapers set to another PCs and Laptops but not even close to the macbook pro 13 colors.
    Anyway back to your question, the grainy font you have its because of the OSX and not because of the screen which I hope it will be fixed in Snow Leopard. However you can still fix it in the current OSX, all what you need is a free tool called tinkertool, google it, install it, and set the font antilizing to the maxumum available at the tool. Reboot and check now you should be like :eek: lol
    Note: some websites will still show a grainy font but only when its made as an image and not text.

Now everyone pls thank me looooool :D

3. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

So you're basically saying that his replacement MBP's OS renders text differently?

4. sab150 thread starter macrumors regular

im not really sure what im saying its just what i see! out of the box the two identical screens looked completely different.. my old macbook pro 13" almost put my 24" ips panel to shame.. this one just looks slights pixelated.. like looking at a matte rather than gloss

im thinking it could be something to do with font rendering like the other poster said aswell..

maybe this screen is brighter? but without calibration there def was a huge difference.. why is this?!

5. sab150 thread starter macrumors regular

okay just downloaded coconut battery, my old one was 6weeks old and its saying this one is 3months old.. should that make a difference? double checked and screens are exact same model/spec

built at the end of june.. maybe there is a difference in quality?

thanks

6. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Since when is 1280x800 high resolution?

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Since 720p is apparently HD and the MacBook's resolution is higher than that.

8. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

It's sounds like a quality control issue in the manufacturing to me if you have kept all monitor related settings the same and both are calibrated the same. You might want to replace your replacement.

9. sab150 thread starter macrumors regular

i really cant be bothered with all that again! il wait and see if i can get used to it.. jst wondered if anyone else had experienced this.. does the 9cdb code relate to the panel.. as its exactly the same code as my old one but after checking this one is about 1 and a half months older, could they have changed the type of panel and kept the same codes?

thanks

10. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

I don't have an answer for you about that but some manufactures do change things without notifying the public. Although a quality control issue will create the same problem because one batch will be different than another batch.

11. sab150 thread starter macrumors regular

okay thanks for the quick replys! i have just taken some pictures in the dark and the black levels are insane compared to my old one, and 100% even backlight with no dead pixels.. i just find it strange the dramatic difference in quality straight from the box! i hoping its more of a hardware thing than the panel itself!

12. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Blah I think anything 1080p and above is high resolution but thats just me :D