13" Macbook pro still a good choice?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JestersWorld, Jul 26, 2010.

1. JestersWorld macrumors newbie

Ok I am trying to compare the 13" and 15" Macbook pros, wondering which one I should try buying when I get money for school. I am going to school for information technology and need something more mobile, than my 21.5" iMac and I was just wanted to hear some users feedback. First off I know there is no core ix processors in the 13" but kind of like the smaller 13" form factor. Anyway would the 15", be to big haven't got anywhere to go to really look at them, but saw a 13" and that was pretty cool. Also considering there are still people who rave about the older macbook airs is it really such a big deal that there is no core i's yet. Just wondering your thoughts and is 13" big enough to u? I do plan on putting 8gb's and a ssd in whatever I buy. So that should help with more speed. :apple:

Are the core 2 duos that bad?
    Is it worth it to buy the core i5 yet?
    Your thoughts and any other commits to help me decide would be nice!:apple:

2. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

The C2D is definitely not that bad, it's actually more than enough. The extra battery life and less weight definitely helps, not saying that the 15
    is too large or heavy to carry around. The 13" is good for your needs especially paired with extra ram and a SSD.

3. Siriosys macrumors regular

Siriosys

Hi Jester,

I was in a similar position that you are in now a few months back.

The C2D is definitely fine. In fact, I've been pleasantly surprised with just how good this little 13incher is! I previously had a 24inch 2.4C2D iMac so I can understand where you're coming from.

I'd definitely suggest getting a decent monitor if you can stretch for it so that any long periods spent studying are going to be easy on the eye.

Interestingly, I have a mate who's recently purchased a 15inch i5 and he's kinda regretting it due to the weight and size thing. It's just not as easy to pop into a smaller bag as the 13inch one is.

I use an over-shoulder bag similar to the Muzetto and the weight isn't an issue. And I'm certainly glad I didn't get the Air.

......trust that's helpful..........

4. kraftzwerg macrumors regular

To me, the 13" MBP is the perfect computer, with the only exception that there is no antiglare option. Otherwise it is just an ideal balance of portability and power. You'd really have to be a very demanding user to require more processing power than it offers. And with an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse it also serves as a perfect desktop computer with no sync'ing required.

5. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

I when from a mbp 2.53 C2D to a 2.66ghz i7. I7 is better but if I didn't know I wouldn't care. I think my old 2.33 from 07 was just as quick day to day.

6. agr5 macrumors member

I have a 2.4 13" and find it perfect for everyday tasks.