13" MacBook Pro Sufficient for this?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BRyken, Jan 11, 2010.

1. BRyken macrumors 6502

I'm looking to buy a 13" MBP soon. I do a lot of audio recording/editing/mixing with Logic Pro and such. Thats the main use of the computer. I also use it for school, I'm a Computer Engineering major, so things like programming and so forth this is obviously good enough. And last I watch a lot of movies on my laptop as well.

I just sold my original 17" MBP I got in 2006 in anticipation for the undoubtedly release of new MBP near the end of this month. My 17" was pretty good with music recording but it did start to conk out doing 8+ tracks at a low buffer, which is what I require.

I'm just wondering if the pending 13" MBP or even the current ones will suffice. They seem to have better specs then my previous, and I'm kind of a on a budget of around $1600 for a new laptop with a EDU discount.

Any added benefit to an SSD option? Obviously more RAM the better, but that'll have to come later, 4GB for now is plenty for me considering I'm coming from 3GB.

Any recommendations you guys can make would be greatly appreciated. I'm not a idiot when it comes to computers I just like to hear other peoples opinions on this kind of stuff.

P.S. Sorry for posting this is the Mac Pro thread. Accident. Mod please delete that one.

Brad
    _________

2. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Brad,

The 13" MBP works. I'd opt for the 2.53GHz and 4GB of RAM, obviously.

As for the hard drive, SSD definitely behooves you; the increased speed, load times, ETC. However, capacity is on the low-end, but will increase in time. I'd opt for the stock drive and upgrade at a later time.

Good luck,

Habitus :apple:

3. djarsalan2006 macrumors regular

hey man !
    i actually have a 13" MBP, the base model one, however i upgraded the memory to 4GB myself, i use if for DJing, spinning really long sets like 4-5 hours and it never froze or anything, i've taken it on about 10 gigs since i got it so far and @ home i use it for mixing and mastering using Ableton Live and it's great !

4. BRyken thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey. Thats good to hear. What about Reason with rewire? Anyone have experience with that? I know that usually takes a lot of processing.

5. Jedi macrumors regular

Jedi

Well , where you are used to a 17" , I would go for the 15" instead of the 13"

May not sound like much , but I was looking at MBP`s too , and there is a noticeable difference between them.

I have never used LP , but I bet it would be easier to read on a 15" !

As far as SSD`s , if I was going to buy a new MBP , that would be my first option ;)

Even before Apple Care ( you got 1 year to decide ).

IMO , an SSD would even come before RAM , remember OS-X will take care of the ram it needs , and will allocate what needs it and what can go with less. 4Mb , I think would be enough.

Unless you plan on several app`s open all at once.

Best of luck , I hope I have helped :D

Gary 

6. BRyken thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for you input. I really would love to get the 15" but I'm trying to restrain myself, because coming from my 17", as far as I'm concerned its a pain in the ass to carry everywhere. I really want something smaller, 13", and get all the power I can get out of it. If it turns out I need more than the 13" will give, I'll have to reconsider, but I think 13" is what I'm going for. I also have an external monitor that I connect to when I'm at home, which is were I would do all my editing. The portable aspect is for recording when I record bands at there place and so forth. I just want something thats portable to move, to record all of them, then take it back and edit at home. I just want to make sure that no one in a similar situation is having performance problems. Hopefully to, the 13" will gain the new Intel i5 processor and then I'm completely sold as I hear nothing but good things.

7. m85476585 macrumors 65816

The 15" is not bad to carry, although the 13" would be even better. 2 inches of :apple: really can make a world of difference.

8. zachplaysguitar macrumors 6502

zachplaysguitar

I use my 13" MBP for Logic Pro on a daily basis and it functions flawlessly. However, I cannot imagine working with a serious project on the tiny 13" screen which is why I connect to a 23" monitor for anything serious. Much larger than even a 17" and I still have the portability of the 13" footprint.