13" macbook pro updated Oct ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by silvershadow68, Sep 22, 2009.

1. silvershadow68 macrumors newbie

hi Guys,
    i am planning to buy my first macbook pro (13") model within the next few days, but have came across a few storys on the macrumours forums about macbook pro's being updated slightly within the next few week/early Oct.

Could anybody confirm anything they might have heard, as i dont want to spend that kinda cash, when a update might be just around the corner,
    however small it may be

cheers guys

thomas

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

There's nothing in concrete yet. There's been some rumors that, because Intel's newer processors are ready, there could be updated notebooks/desktops in the next month or so. If it happens, I don't think it'd be a BIG update, probably just small bumps in speed. Otherwise, if you'd like to go for the MacBook Pro now, I don't think you'd be disappointed -- it's a great machine.

3. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

What..?
    If they update it now (not speedbump, a proper update) they'll have to jump to Clarksfield, and they won't use that in the 13".

It's either a speedbump or nothing until January/February.

Edit: The source here is completely within my own brain. Nothing other than weak rumours have been heard, and noone has spoken of a total CPU refresh, so it's unlikely to take place within the next weeks.

4. silvershadow68 thread starter macrumors newbie

If it’s just a slight bump in speed, a wouldn’t be too concerned , although a would be gutted if there was any hardware, or Visual changes, that I might miss out on. I realize that they have just been updated a few months back , although, with the Holiday period coming up, and the release of Windows 7,
    Maybe Apple want to encourage more converts to the Apple Line of Macbook pro’s

Cheers

5. melman101 macrumors 68030

This has been said, time and time again. If you need the computer now, get it now. If you can wait, then wait. However, there will always be something better in the next refresh. If you keep waiting for another refresh, you'll never get one.

Also, there are usually some problems with Rev. A Apple products. At least you know this version of the Macbook Pro has been worked on for a while now.

Mel

6. silvershadow68 thread starter macrumors newbie

13" Macbookpro speakers. Are they any good ?

Hi guys,
    Just going off topic slightly. I nipped to my local apple shop in Buchannan street Glasgow at lunchtime, just to make sure that I was happy with the 13” Macbook pro, and not the 15” model. I really do like the 13” model, but noted that on the 15” models, they had speakers down both side panels.
    I couldn’t for the life of me, see were the speakers were on the 13” model.
    I am assuming they must be there somewhere, but can I ask people out there with the 13”Macbook pro,

What is the sound like from this model, say compared with the 15”

Are they ok for listening to music + watching a film

Many thanks

Thomas

7. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

If you were at the Apple store why didn't you just listen to both of them with your own ears to determine this?

Personally, I prefer the mobility of the 13" to be the biggest priority and the speakers to be secondary. I use external speakers/amp when I'm deskbound anyway. And when I'm not, I'm usually at some place where sound isn't allowed (or as important).

8. silvershadow68 thread starter macrumors newbie

I would have, thats what i set out to do, but the shop was absolutely jam packed, and there wasnt a spare macbook pro for love nor money, and i only had a 20min window thru lunchtime and didnt get a chance.

But i appreciate your comments

cheers

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If sound quality is at all important to you then any Apple laptop is epic fail. The 15" speakers are bad enough- tinny, almost no bass to speak of, and soft. The 13" only gets worse because it's essentially inside the case. Sound from a movie or music track will be audible, but you're going to want to invest in some decent headphones or external speakers.

10. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Then you need to move somebody's arse. :D

The speakers on the 13" are adequate enough that you can watch a movie with no problems. They are actually better than any PC notebook I've ever owned. But again, if you plan on DJ'ing a 400 person block party with it that won't happen with any macbook.

That's what externals are for.

11. PeckhamBog macrumors 6502

PeckhamBog

Try these YouTube videos for guidance. A viewer has commented on the last link that the presenter (who appears to have sold his shirt to buy his Mac) maybe inaccurate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52Kk...4F7E3E9DE&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwZ5JLGEVUg&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI9q5LdSr_I&NR=1

12. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

Wow... As an audiophile that just made my head explode. Comparing speakers on the 13 and 15 inch MBPs is kinda like asking which testicle you would like to be kicked. I think based on what I've heard in the store, you're probably going to be fine either way. If you get the 13, the extra heft and cash you would save would allow you to buy portable speakers, or headphones for far better sound.

13. silvershadow68 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey man,
    thank you for the video links.
    The sound on the 13" is more than adequate for my needs (sound wise) for a movie or some music. I really appreciate this

cheers

14. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

Apple updates the pro's on an 8 month refresh.

15. womble2k2 macrumors regular