13" MacBook Pro updates at WWDC?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by swish2351, May 18, 2010.

1. swish2351 macrumors 6502

Does anybody think the 13" MacBook Pro's will be updated at WWDC? I think the White MacBook having the exact same specs except 2GB RAM is pretty fishy... Thoughts?

2. sakanagai macrumors member

Really? They just updated the MacBook Pro's, including the 13-incher. Besides, Apple has gone on record that this year's WWDC would not be Mac-centric.

3. swish2351 thread starter macrumors 6502

yes, really. I didn't know about apple saying they weren't going to be mac-related at WWDC but I was just wondering because it seems like they could. I didn't think so but I was just wondering on others thoughts.

4. thebrick macrumors regular

thebrick

Imo

I really don't thing so. They mustn't do that.

It's impossible to update with new CPU in 8 weeks.
    I think they don't want to be mean on their customers with refreshing 13" uMBP just in two month. lol

5. rayyu882 macrumors member

I too agree, given the fact that the lineup just updated about a month ago, we won't see any update anytime soon.

However, I wouldn't be surprise that Apple to drop the 2.4Ghz MBP and leave the 2.6Ghz be the only 13" MBP option, or introduce a higher level 13" MBP, currently the MB and the entry level MBP running to close on spec it doesn't make much sense.

6. sakanagai macrumors member

It actually made quite a few folks upset when Mac was pushed out of the focus for WWDC '10. Introducing a new MBP SKU at this stage would be very expensive for Apple, not to mention infeasible. What possible upgrades could there be? The Core 2010 would require a larger logic board that would cut into the space for the battery and fans. An update to the Air might be possible, but that would require a steady supply of Arrandale ULV's which have had too low of a yield to reach mass market.

7. swish2351 thread starter macrumors 6502

that is the kind of stuff I was thinking. Why would you have 2 laptops with almost identical specs when one is $200 cheaper? I didn't mean a full update (sorry if i was not clear) I meant something like what you said, dropping the low-end and making a new high-end. Hopefully they do that. When do you think that would happen? the closest the MacBook Pro lineup has been updated is a 2 month span, second is 3, third is 4. So I think sometime in August. Anyone agree? Thoughts?

8. sakanagai macrumors member

But they did the same thing last generation, too. Granted, the gap was closed faster this iteration, but the previous generations of each the MB and MBP were just as similar as this set. I wouldn't be too surprised to see a refresh this fall, but to arrive just a couple of months after the latest release is absurd, even for Apple.

9. rayyu882 macrumors member

Pricing would be the key I think, if Apple do drop the 2.4Ghz 13", then they should lower the price of the 2.6Ghz (I don't know does Apple has such a pricing lowering trend?). Because to me the 2.6Ghz is overprice at this point and only $300 extra I could get myself a 15" i5.

I almost bought a 2.4Ghz 13" this pass weekend, now I will wait a little longer and see what Apple would do.

10. rayyu882 macrumors member

Yes, I don't think we will see any refresh or change anytime soon. Who know how many 2.4Ghz C2D processors Apple bought...

11. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

12. sakanagai macrumors member

It's not just about their current processors stocked. If they were to use i5 (or i7, but much less likely) processors, they'd have to cut into their more profitable 15" and 17" MBP production. Even still, that is a minor issue.

The move to a Core 2010 CPU, the only reasonable direction to move, is not a revisionary upgrade but a complete redesign. The current Nvidia graphics would either have to be removed and replaced with Intel graphics, a tremendous step backward, or additional logic added to the mainboard to facilitate the off-die GPU (note that this is precisely where the delay and inherent inefficiencies in ION 2 have originated). There just isn't room for it on current motherboards and doing the full development of new boards as well as production of yet another battery (the one currently used would surely have to be scaled back to accomodate the larger board) for what will only be a "minor" upgrade at this stage.

13. jleach1 macrumors newbie

I like it when "logic" is added to the motherboard.