13" Macbook Pro vs Lenovo Yoga Pro 2

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fapel100, Sep 26, 2015.

1. fapel100 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone
    I am deciding between getting a used macbook pro vs a used lenovo yoga pro 2.

Macbook Pro Specs:
    2012 -- 13inches (not retina)
    2.9 GHz intel i7
    128gb SSD (replaced 750gb Hard drive)
    4gb of ram (but upgrading to 8gb ram)
    intel HD 4000 graphics with 1024mb

Lenovo Yoga Pro 2:
    2013 -- 13 inches
    intel i7
    256gb SSD
    8gb of ram

The Macbook Pro is $100 cheaper and I was wondering if it is worth getting it. Both are in great condition. Let me know. Thanks!

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I would go with the MBP simply because I prefer OS X to Windows. The 128gb SSD could be a problem if you have a lot of media files or other large storage requirements.

3. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

Well first questions first, do you want OS X or Windows? If it doesn't matter the Lenovo seems like a better deal though not sure how well the laptop is made. I believe the Yogo should be one of their higher end models so quality should be pretty similar. If the Lenovo uses a Haswell processor it could be a better deal.

4. businezguy macrumors 6502

I'm going to throw in my two cents because I hope to help you make a good decision. Back in 2010 I bought a 17 inch Dell because I wanted a laptop that was good for gaming. After using Macs since 2001, that Dell turned out to be a big mistake. It was poorly constructed with the bezel peeling away from the sides, and while it games well it didn't do anything else very well. I'd have been better off with a mediocre gaming experience with a Mac.

The second time I moved away from the Mac was while going back to University. Based on a lot of the positive comments from here, I went with the Surface Pro 3 with the idea I'd have a touch screen and the ability to use a pen to write on the screen. It was yet another mistake. It was a less intuitive experience and also froze a lot and had several glitches in the operating system. As a result, I literally bought a Macbook Pro today and within 2 hours of using it, I can tell how much better it is.

Don't make the same mistakes I did. Get the Macbook Pro.

5. july142 macrumors newbie

osx operating system works so well for laptops because of the trackpad functionality. I'll never go back to a windows laptop.

6. jmikhail490 macrumors regular

jmikhail490

My reasoning is...you can't go wrong with the MBP because they are solid and hardware and software are both integrated so if you like the OS X operating system I wouldn't hesitate because the fact is that we can all say the MBP is very reliable and can get everything you probably need to do, done. On the other hand we can not for sure say that the yoga will be as reliable. I would not bet on the yoga being as smooth and reliable and ready to do whatever you need as much as the MBP. So in MY opinion I would go with the MBP just for the simple reason of....TRUST. I trust my macs. that matters a lot to me.

Goodluck!!!!

7. Vilacr macrumors regular

Most answers you get in a mac forum will be biased. Your best option is to read as much info as you can on the machines that interests you and make a decision based on your needs. With that being said, the lenovo yoga 2 pro has had screen yellowing issues. Check into this before you purchase the lenovo.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What is your planned usage? What apps will you be running?

You get a larger SSD, and more memory on the Lenovo. Have you checked out the reviews of the Yoga 2 to see if its a good machine?

As others posted, you asked on a Mac forum and the majority of responses will be for the MBP. The only issue is that you'll either be buying a 3 year old computer vs. a 2 year old one.

9. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

If you care about how the machine is built, buy the MBP.

if you don't care whether you are using machine made out of really crappy plastics with a really bad trackpad then go for the Lenovo - it has better hardware spec.

Also you'll likely find the Mac has way better battery life under OS X.

10. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Doesn't the yoga 2 have one of those uber screens and 10ish hour battery life?

11. TechGod, Sep 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2015

TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

The Yoga Pro 2 is much better than the cMBP. Much better. I don't even care if it runs Windows. It isn't the mess it once was..

Yeah! It is one of the best laptops I've had the pleasure of using.

12. abundantmussel macrumors member

abundantmussel

I had a lenovo yoga 2 for work and it was a good laptop, the tablet function just wasn't for me so I gave it to the boss and got another but a good laptop all round.

13. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

I wouldn't buy either unless they were dirt cheap. The MacBook would have been the easy choice if it wasn't gimped with 4GB RAM and a 128GB SSD.