13' Macbook Pro vs. Sony Y Series

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BigMacUBC, Sep 8, 2010.

1. BigMacUBC macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm a computer science major thinking of getting either a Macbook Pro 13' or the new Sony Y series.

The specs for the Sony is : 1.2 GHz, 500 Gb, Intel Core i3 - 330UM, Intel HD Graphics.

I'd be getting the 2.4 GHz Macbook Pro.

I looked around but there aren't that many reviews of the Sony Y series.
    How bad is the graphics card?

I'll be taking this computer with me to class everyday. I won't be doing any gaming. I'll most use it for just everyday web surfing, coding, and watching movies.

PS. If I get the Sony I'll probably get a desktop tower as well with the money I save.

Thanks in Advance!

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

The Macbook Pro is a very fine computer and is much more versatile in terms of running all software as well as being much more powerful than the Sony.

You do realize that "Mac" rumors is not really a good resource for getting recommendations from products other than Apple don't you? If you want a non biased opinion don't come to a Mac forum and ask about Sony computers. You should ask your questions like this on www.Notebookreview.com, under the forum section of "White laptop should I buy?".

3. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

You should really be comparing the Macbook Pro 13 to the Sony Vaio S series, that's its natural competitor.

4. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

The Sony has half the processing power, one quarter the graphics, I can objectively say that it is worth half as much as (or less than) a MBP 13"

5. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

^True. I'm a comp sci grad and would vote for the mbp.

6. joniepoo macrumors newbie

joniepoo

i second that and this is coming from a cs undergrad lol you go that terminal yo

looks like you got a solid answer here

7. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Agreed on the S Series. The Y series is an ultramobile. Probably better competition for the MBA. The 330um chip is half the speed of LAST year's Core 2 Duos, and probably wouldn't even outperform the 2008 Penryns.

On a style note, I was considering buying one of these as my mobile PC. Don't know if you've seen one in person or not... they look nice in pictures. They look funny in person.