13" MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Dave245, Oct 22, 2016.

?

Will you buy a 13" version of the MacBook?

1. Yes it's the size i was looking for

19 vote(s)
    44.2%
  2. No i'm happy with my 12" MacBook

20 vote(s)
    46.5%
  3. I want a bigger size (15" MacBook)

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  1. Dave245 macrumors 601

With next weeks Apple event, new Mac's are almost certainly going to make an appearance, the very reliable Ming-Chi-Kuo has sent out a new report which states that alongside the new MacBook Pro's, Apple will also announce a new 13" MacBook. What do you guys think? would you be tempted to get the 13" MacBook?

It could make perfect sense for Apple to do this considering the following line up

MacBook Air - entry level 13" (removal of the 11" MacBook Air)
    MacBook 12" and 13" - mid level
    MacBook Pro - high end

Personally i'm waiting to see what Apple announce, but having seen the 12" in the Apple store and being someone who is use to using a 15" Macbook Pro 2011, i would love to see a bigger version of it.

2. Precursor macrumors 6502

Precursor

Tbh, I'm happy with the 12" rMB, though +1 inch won't make it much more bulkier and it's probably going to get a little bit more oomph and extra USB-C port(s).

3. MacRazySwe macrumors 6502a

Why does the thread title refer to MacBook Pro?

Either way, I believe a 13" Retina MacBook with 2 USB-C ports would be a great computer! I would be in the market for one.

4. Dave245 thread starter macrumors 601

Yea sorry I meant to put 13" MacBook and I can't find a way to edit the title :(

But yea I do think a bigger version of the MacBook would be great, if they do announce a 13" version I will think about it, either that or upgrade to the new MacBook Pro from my current 2011 year old one.

5. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

6. Unrealmac1988 macrumors member

It all comes down to price and how much USB C ports.

If this thing is just as expensive as the current rMB or in other words if the rMB won't get a price drop I won't buy this thing.

I am hoping that the 13 inch model will have another USB C port+i5 and will be about 1300€.

The Pro version then could have the LED bar+i7. For me this would make sense :)

7. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

Coming from the 2011 11" air, and comparing the 11" air to a 12" rMP side by side at best buy, the extra real estate helped a bit despite it only being an inch. I am too waiting for thursday's announcement and will go back to best buy or apple to compare in person.

I've mentioned before, for my uses, the rMB would be fine. However I like gimmicks and extra screen real estate could sway my decision barring the price point. I also am considering the price for a rMB + monitor combo over a rMBP that will serve as my all in one without an external screen.

Regardless I am excited that apple is finally giving us something to get excited about on Thursday.

8. Dave245 thread starter macrumors 601

I agree, i think the extra screen estate would be good. a 13" MacBook could swing it for me, however i want to see what the MacBook Pro has to offer, the OLED strip could be really good and useful.

9. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Actually I would like to have the size of the current 13" with no bezels and a 14" screen and a quad-core CPU. Please.

10. DNichter macrumors 68030

DNichter

I don't see a point really. Apple really needs to simplify the lineup. I'd say MacBook in 12 and 14 and a MacBook Pro in 13 and 15. Seems to cover all bases.

11. Dave245 thread starter macrumors 601

Or maybe a 12" and 15" MacBook, it could be that the 13" MacBook that's being rumoured is just an updated MacBook Air. But i do think a 13" MacBook would make sense, especially if Apple are dropping the 11" MacBook Air.

12. JD2015 macrumors 6502

The MacBook line up is getting very confusing and messy. Just have MacBook and MacBook Pro in same size range and relevant spec models, whilst scrapping the Macbook Air.

13. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

Exactly. Methinks the rumors of the 13" Macbook are referring to a new/refreshed MacBook Air.

14. Dave245 thread starter macrumors 601

It could very well be, but I don't think that it will be given a Retina display or a big upgrade. Don't forget Apple updated the MacBook Air with 8GB Ram as standard earlier this year, so that could very well have been the only update the Air will get. If Apple do introduce a new 13" MacBook, it could be that further down the line it will replace the Air, when it becomes cheaper.

15. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

Well, I was wrong. The Air is gone. Sad. I know the Pro's are thin, but I liked the tapered design of the Air. But then again, the new Pro's have a fantastic screen and a smaller footprint. Guess I could get used to them :)

16. fob macrumors member

fob

12 is perfect because the footprint is exactly the size of an a4 sheet, slips into a magazine/brochure/book easily and be incognito

17. evec macrumors regular

No Touch Bar version just 15W TDP CPU with one fan inside and it should a MacBook 13.
    Apple use marketing name - MacBook pro because they want sell it more expensive.

Just Intel brand name their new Core M is i7.:mad:

18. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

It really should have been branded as the Air, but what I bolded are actually benefits to me personally. I just picked one up and have not heard the fans kick on once, the MacBook charger actually charges it fast, and I really think the battery is going to be fantastic.

19. Dave245 thread starter macrumors 601

After what was announced, I'm tempted to get a 13" MacBook Pro with the Touch Bar rather than the one that should of been the Air.

The 13" that should of been the Air is £1,449 where as the entry level with Touch Bar is £1,749 so that's an extra £300 for a slightly better processor, 8GB Ram with 2133 memory rather than the 1866, the Touch Bar and the next bump up in graphics.

20. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I don't think we will really know how big of a difference there is until people get their hands on the TB version.

21. Dave245 thread starter macrumors 601

True, the one thing I don't think Apple are getting enough credit for tho is the fact that they have managed to fit all those new specs/components into a MacBook Pro that's as thin as a MacBook Air! That Touch Bar did look good, but we will see. I'm waiting on some reviews of it. It's not like it's available right now anyway there is a few weeks wait before people start receiving them.

22. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I personally don't think I will use the TB that much. Definitely would use it for touchID, but I am docked at work most of the time, and I highly doubt the magic keyboard gets a touchbar any time soon.

I also come nowhere near pushing the capabilities of the no TB pro.

23. Dave245 thread starter macrumors 601

That's why I'm waiting for reviews, I'm happy with my iPad Pro at the moment. But i would consider upgrading my 2011 MacBook Pro if reviews are good.