13” MacBook Pro

TofSanity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
684
90
hello. I am about to purchase a 13” MacBook Pro with touchbar. My question is should I purchase a base model 2018 13” with quad core or a base model 2017 with dual but 16gb of RAM?
[doublepost=1536813905][/doublepost]I’ll will Mostly be using it to write
 

Ma2k5

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2012
2,445
2,331
London
You should get a 2017 model without Touch Bar
Has both the old processor and the old keyboard, for what is a very high price comparative to the 2018 touch-bar models. Ironically I had that an nTB MacBook Pro only to return it due to keyboard issues.
 

Fishrrman

macrumors Core
Feb 20, 2009
19,381
6,693
OP wrote:
"I’ll will Mostly be using it to write"

8gb of RAM will be "all that you need".

As others have mentioned, you can pick up the 2017 13" (non-touchbar) MBPro for less $$$$.
It has the older keyboard, but that keyboard is now covered by a FOUR YEAR replacement program. And... if the keyboard needs replacement, you automatically get a new battery along with it.
 

Ma2k5

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2012
2,445
2,331
London
OP wrote:
"I’ll will Mostly be using it to write"

8gb of RAM will be "all that you need".

As others have mentioned, you can pick up the 2017 13" (non-touchbar) MBPro for less $$$$.
It has the older keyboard, but that keyboard is now covered by a FOUR YEAR replacement program. And... if the keyboard needs replacement, you automatically get a new battery along with it.
Sure you are covered by the replacement programme, but if you look at other peoples experience with that, it isn't great. Some users have had to do it several times too.

Besides, a 256GB nTB is too expensive for what it is now compared to a 256GB TB 8th gen, especially with potentially a new model coming around next month with the newer 8th gen CPU's.
 

Howard2k

macrumors 68030
Mar 10, 2016
2,900
2,158
If you have to buy today, I'd get the 2018.

I would not buy the nTB today, or the 2017.

If you can wait for a few weeks to see if the newer 13" falls out of the trees, I would do that.
 

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
820
795
Leeds, UK
Sure you are covered by the replacement programme, but if you look at other peoples experience with that, it isn't great. Some users have had to do it several times too.

Besides, a 256GB nTB is too expensive for what it is now compared to a 256GB TB 8th gen, especially with potentially a new model coming around next month with the newer 8th gen CPU's.
Could go the refurbished route and save? As an example the difference in UK pricing between an 8th Gen Quad Core is £1749 versus £1229 for a 7th Gen Dual Core. Both have 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD. 16GB RAM ones appear online most days.
 

Ma2k5

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2012
2,445
2,331
London
Could go the refurbished route and save? As an example the difference in UK pricing between an 8th Gen Quad Core is £1749 versus £1229 for a 7th Gen Dual Core. Both have 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD. 16GB RAM ones appear online most days.
I don't know if comparing brand new price vs refurbished is fair as refurbished is marked down 15%. Also there is nothing to suggest what the OP's priority/budget is. Personally, after experiencing the horror the keyboard is, I wouldn't have considered it at £1229 brand new, let alone refurbished.

The best option is likely to be the rumoured new MacBook Air in my opinion, it is just a question of when it lands.
 

sosumi99

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2003
362
320
If you can wait for a few weeks to see if the newer 13" falls out of the trees, I would do that.
This. I make my living writing, and the 12 inch MacBook is ideal (except for the awful keyboard). I don't think you need the performance of a MBP in any form, so I'd wait for the rumored new 13" Air/MB successor.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.