13" Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mikethebigo, Jun 7, 2009.

1. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

To start off with, sorry if this has already been done!

I thought I'd create a thread where we could discuss what could be done to the uMB to make it a pro machine. If I were in charge of Apple hardware and wanted to change or upgrade the Macbook, here's what I'd do:

1. (most important) remove the superdrive. This would be a highly debated decision, but for the most part, when I ask people they say they rarely use their DVD drive

2. Integrated, larger battery. Get it up to 80 or 90 whr with 1,000 recharge cycles. According to Apple, they could do this without actually using any extra space (since the extra space for the battery would come from removing the mechanism that holds it).

3. Dedicated graphics. This is where the removal of the superdrive comes in (since any addition would have to be met by a current component's subtraction). The 9600m could easily be put where the superdrive is now, especially considering it's near the back of the unit and would therefore have easier access to the rear-facing vents.

4. Firewire and Expresscard 34. Again, both could be easily fit into the right side of the chassis if the superdrive is gone. Expresscard would definitely ease the pain of sometimes needing an SD card reader, ESATA, or needing a USB 3.0 port in the future.

5. Whatever modern processors are available (core 2 duo or arrandale)

6. I would put screen upgrade here but seems it's no longer an issue (I'm on a 9CA5 - completely happy with it).

What do you guys think? I think this system would kick total ass. Take the macbook, insert dedicated graphics and the nicer battery, add some ports, and you've got one badass 13" system. Only thing that would have to go is the superdrive, and for that kind of system, I could do without it. Call it the Macbook Pro Air ;)

2. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Eh..... though the line up seems to be merging with the new product cycle, I still think that MB == consumer and MBP == prosumer.

Honestly I would consider my parents / siblings / friends your average consumers. Sure they know how to use a computer efficiently but I guarantee they have no idea what firewire, expresscard, or eSata is.

Not to mention removing the optical drive would be a huge deal breaker for a lot of consumers, The average consumer is not going to like having to attach some DVD drive dongle just to watch a DVD, or re-buy / rent all of there DVD's from the iTunes store again. The average consumer also is not going to use their "other" Mac with a optical drive to create a .dmg from a disk then transfer is over their network etc. etc.

My point being is that yes a lot of us here can easily live without a optical drive built into our notebooks, but everyone else is not going to know all of the ways to get physical media onto their computers. Though I really would like the optical drive removed and have 2nd hard drive. This goes back to the MB == consumer.

THe only thing that I could see becoming a reality is that the battery will become intergrated like the 17" MBP. Processors will show up as they become available

Sure it would be nice to have all of those features in a small package, with nice screen, powerful graphics etc. etc. I just don't see the point in hoping for something that probably will never happen.

EDIT: I stand corrected, looks like there will be a 13" MBP........ I will eat crow now.

3. okatidubi macrumors regular

Why removing the superdrive is the most important task? Yes, people rarely use their DVD drives, but in what situation? Watching a movie or installing a software? I bet if you meant watching a movie, they rarely use it. However, installing a software, ah, that's a different case. Although you can now pay and download the software online, this would only be good in this case:

1. You have a high speed internet that download large files in a few hours.

However, imagine you have no internet. The only way you can install your software is by disc using the superdrive. If you have any problems with the software, you can re-install again easily because you have a physical copy of the software.

Yes, you can also say that people can borrow the superdrives of other PC/Mac by using the MacBook Air's feature. But it would be easier to have it on hand, isn't it? Besides, it's a PRO computer.

I think this would be great.

Apple can redesign the internals of the computer. It does not necessarily have to be the same as the unibody MacBook. Especially with the built in battery, you can play with the internals a bit more.

Apple can redesign the internals of the computer. It does not necessarily have to be the same as the unibody MacBook. Especially with the built in battery, you can play with the internals a bit more.

Of course. :D