Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bobber205, Sep 28, 2009.
MBP is 200 more. What's the difference besides the finish?
The difference is that you can get a 13" MB refurbished?
The differences are
mbp has ddr3 ram
7 hour battery
sd card slot
support for up to 8 gb of ram
if you can afford it, get the mbp
You get backlit keys and an LED back lit Screen and the multi touch glass track pad. Since your considering both of these I would go look at them in person at an Apple store. Once I did that the decision was easy, MBP.
It also has a mini-DisplayPort rather than mini-DVI and the aluminum is a better material IMO
I think the macbook has a 7 hour battery but those things are definitely worth the money.
The MacBook uses removable batteries that don't last 7 hours. 4 hours at best, but that's even a stretch. Good thing is, you can buy spare batteries.
Do you HAVE a white Macbook? I do, and I can easily get way more than 4 hours battery life - usually more like 5 to 5.5 (using wireless, bluetooth on, screen at about half brightness). My sister has the unibody Macbook (basically the same as the current 13" MBP, save for a removable battery and a spec bump) and she's the one who gets 4 to 4.5 hours, not me. However, the 13" MBP did get a new/better battery, so the 7 hour claim may be true. I know mine said about 5 hours on the box and that's what I get.
To the OP: The Macbook is a good machine, if you're OK with the plastic. Its not bad, I can assure you - I've had NO ISSUES with mine at all. But the unibody's are nice, too - but that aluminum gets really hot/cold (depending on the room temp and usage). If you use it on bare legs (i.e., in shorts) it can freeze/roast you.
The biggest difference for me would be the FW800 port - essential if you want to do any sort of video editing (which is what the Pro is sort of aimed towards anyway). For 200 extra it's invaluable.
When was the MPB last refreshed?
I am obviously going to wait till tomorrow just in case.
At this point I'd wait for Arrandale unless you absolutely need a notebook right now.
the mbp isnt gonna change anytime soon... if your just a casual web browsing, itunes, office user... then you would be wise to wait a month and see what the new macbook is going to offer and keep your fingers crossed for apple dropping $100-200 off the current $999 price tag of it.
I am seriously considering a refurbished 1300 15" MBP.
Those aren't going to be affected by any refresh for quite awhile right?
seriously doubt it, and when they do it wont be a dramatic update, more of a spec bump... That refurb 15 wont have the new battery but its still a killer mbp, i looked at one before deciding to get the 13mbp for the battery.
I'm having the same problem kind of. I want to get a 13" MBP or possibly the new Macbook that is supposedly coming out in the next couple weeks. I'm just scared that as soon as I buy it, the i7's will come out early next year. I've got an old Dell that I use but I really want a laptop. I guess I'm just doomed to wait it out.
I was in your shoes, and ended up getting the MBP. Battery, backlit keyboard, SD slot and touchpad are soooo nice
If you need a new system now, buy the best system you can afford now. If you don't need it now, then wait.
The refurbished 2.26 mbp for $999 at the apple store is a pretty decent price. If you can buy online and wait a few days, I'd choose this option over buying a new white macbook at best buy for the same price.
Do you not have a computer now? Or does the one you already have not do what you need (not want) it to do? Then you probably need a new system now.
If you already have a computer, and it does what is necessary for school and/or work, then you don't need a new computer. You simply want one, or are lusting after whatever tasty new features apple has included with the latest model.
If you're using your computer to make a living, you should know what your time is worth. Realistically estimate how much of a performance gain a new system will give you and see if it will at least pay for itself in a year or two. If it won't, then stick with your current one. My fiancee's uncle is a graphics designer in my state's largest newspaper, and they're still using g5 powermacs with CS2 to do their advertisements. Even with craigslist, they've still got enough money to buy mac pros with cs4 if they thought for a minute it would result in a performance and profitability gain.
If you're not using your computer to make a living, keep using it until it breaks down (hopefully under applecare) or no longer does what you need it to do. In either of the above two cases, you can often goose some extra life/useful performance out of an older system by maxing out the ram and adding a larger, faster hard drive for a lot less than the cost of a new system. The upgrades may also help you sell your older system if you are so inclined.
If apple introduces a new system in a few weeks or months, a current system won't magically stop working or no longer do what it is doing today. Even if apple releases a quad core mbp with 10.6, I dare say that it will still take programmers a while to optimize their apps to take advantage of the new capabilities.
Sorry for the long winded rant, but it gets tiresome at times to read all the 'buy now or wait' and 'should i sell my month old mbp and buy a ...." threads.