13" MacBook vs. 12" PowerBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by macguymike, Jan 2, 2008.

  1. macguymike macrumors 6502

    Mar 28, 2003
    My current laptop is a 867MHz 12" PowerBook G4. It's around 4-5 years old now, but still works (more or less) fine, running Tiger.

    It does have a few physical hardware issues. The front of the bottom casing is warped (bent outwards from the frame) on one side from a drop, poor battery life, the battery does not stay in because the small plastic prongs on one side snapped off, the latch doesn't close as securely as it used to, and there are a few dead pixels.

    I can get a new case and battery and have the case installed all for around $300, though really I just need a battery that won't fall out when I pick up the laptop.

    However, I also have an opportunity to purchase a brand new white MacBook (lowest-end model) for $800, shipped.

    I've been eyeing the black MacBooks because the integrated graphics don't impress me and I'd like to have DVD burning capabilities like I do right now... plus there's the black = cool factor. :p

    To be honest, though I've survived just fine these last few years without playing any "serious" games on my laptop (I have a brand new PC tower, a Wii and a DS for all my gaming needs anyway), don't think I'd need to burn a DVD with my laptop (would I?), and I can live with white. I've even done some homework on cases and palmrest guards already to keep it nice and clean and scratch-free.

    Here's the catch: I just started a leave of absence from my job to focus on school so that I can graduate with a good GPA this June. From now until then my money is coming 95% from loans.

    What would you do in my position? Just fix up the PowerBook for now or jump at the great offer for the MacBook?
  2. KingYaba macrumors 68040


    Aug 7, 2005
    Up the irons
    Why not keep your G4 useful and use that machine to burn DVDs when you need? Take advantage of the great offer.
  3. tdhurst macrumors 601


    Dec 27, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ

    Get a new Macbook if you can afford it. The performance jump has a much better value than what you get from the powerbook.

    This is coming from someone who LOVES his 12" Powerbook and would think twice about trading it straight up for a new Macbook.

    For your money, your powerbook isn't worth it to repair anymore.
  4. 0007776 Suspended


    Jul 11, 2006
    The black Macbooks still have integrated graphics. if you want dedicated graphics you need the macbook pro. personally, if you can wait for a few more weeks until macworld I would, if you like the small size of your powerbook, you may be interested if an ultra-portable is released.
  5. Shadow macrumors 68000


    Feb 17, 2006
    Keele, United Kingdom
    Depends on your needs. The MacBook will totally destroy the PowerBook in terms of performance. However, if you enjoy the portability you could max the RAM and get Leopard although it would be running on the minimum supported hardware.
  6. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

    Feb 2, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    What's the point of that did you even read his post it's either the $800 macbook or his powerbook.

    I'd get the Macbook as long as it doesn't affect you too much finance wise.
  7. dukebound85 macrumors P6


    Jul 17, 2005
    5045 feet above sea level
    he just pointed out a fact that the op was seemed to be misinformed on

    the post also said he was eyeing the blackbook since it can burn dvds but said he could live with white one

    try not to be to hostile
  8. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

    Feb 2, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I wasn't being Hostile sorry if it seemed that way it just seemed like the $800 one was the only option.
  9. tobefirst macrumors 68040


    Jan 24, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    Don't forget that you should include the opportunity cost of selling your Powerbook in the equation. If you could get $300 (I really have no idea what your 'book would go for) for your Powerbook, then the real, actual cost of the MacBook becomes $500. That's versus the $300 it would cost to fix the one you've got.

    For you, it is a great time to upgrade.
  10. ktbubster macrumors 6502a


    Jan 20, 2007
    I actually think on ebay he could easily get 300 even with the problems. people like these little suckers. The only thing is, if he were to sell the powerbook he would have to do it BEFORE macworld probably. Once that hits I think that will decrease the selling points of the 12inch powerbook a bit.

    I'd say buy the 800 dollar macbook if you can and sell the powerbook as soon as possible.

    The black's graphics are the same as the white. You can always get a nice spec case for it in some cool color (or even black if you so choose) which will look nice AND protect it from any unwanted scratches etc. IF you still really want dvd burning capabiities in your laptop or something differe down the road, when you have money again, perhaps this summer, ditch the macbook and upgrade! :) CHances are the summer (april - june) we will see a little processor boost in the macbooks again, or there will be something neat released this january that should have the rev a kinks sorta worked out by summer too.

    Buy the macbook, probably spend 5-600 dollars in difference once you sell your powerbook and enjoy that and if you want to upgrade again when you have the finances, then you should still be able to get a good resale value for your macbook towards the upgrade :)

    I think, especially when school stuff is involved, having a more dependable laptop is important for notes and all that, so I think it's best to grab the macbook while you can and use that and upgrade later again if you so choose. THe macbook will also wipe the floor with your powerbook :)



    edit: PS if you end up not taking that macbook deal, let us know about it! I'd really like an 800 dollar new macbook! :) hehe
  11. mammajamma macrumors newbie

    Dec 21, 2005
    PowerBook 12: pwns

    I think the PowerBook 12" is way cooler than my Black MacBook, although I can safely say that the Core Duo 2 kicks the **** out of the G4. The 12" though has the best industrial design of all Apple's products and I like it's compact form factor which is why I've never quite got rid of it. It's my favorite Macintosh that they've ever released. Even a subnotebook that's rumored to appear won't be as cool in my opinion since it won't have a internal disc drive. It will be some time before Apple can match it's own 12" PowerBook G4 or Sony's TX series mini laptops.
  12. macguymike thread starter macrumors 6502

    Mar 28, 2003
    Thanks, everyone.

    I'm going ahead with the offer for the MacBook, though it's between me and some kids at UC Berkeley and they have first dibs at the moment.

    This has helped me decide to get a new laptop either way, though. :)

    If the deal doesn't happen, I might just wait for MacWorld and see what happens, though I don't think I'd want a subnotebook. I just don't want to buy a laptop and then have something better come out a week later.

    Although, that means I need to figure out what to do with the battery on my PowerBook until then.

Share This Page