13" macbook vs macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gagaliya, Mar 14, 2010.

1. gagaliya macrumors 6502

is there anything not obvious about the difference between macbook and the base model 13" macbook pro?

I went to the apple store in nyc and checked out both, the metal casing on macbook pro isnt a big factor for me. microcenter has the macbook on sale for 800 bucks, i might just get that to hold me over for this year if the new version of macbook pro isnt coming out this tuesday.

are there any other "hidden" differences between the two?

thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

MBP has FireWire 800 and SD-card slot while MacBook doesn't but MacBook has 250GB HD while MBP has 160GB. MBP is little (very little though) bit lighter and smaller but that can't be recognized with human eye.

Biggest difference is the aluminum vs. polycarbonate

4. gagaliya thread starter macrumors 6502

backlit keyboard/firewire isnt needed, sd slot is good to have definitely but not a big deal.

Now mbp has "better screen" is that really true? according to this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=202306 they are just preferences, one isnt really better than the other. A few other places also mentioned better screen, but didnt really explain why mbp screen is better.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Did you notice any difference while looking at them in Apple Store? Alu and earlier MacBooks did have worse screens but I think the screen in uni MB is as good as MBP's

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i recently upgraded form a first gen blackbook to the new unibody mb and the screen is alot better

7. Pax macrumors 6502a

+1

Some of the Macbooks and some of the MBPs use the same panel model - 9C9E. I suspect that all the MBs and MBPs share the same set of panels. So I don't think LCD panel should be on the list of differences

8. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

I think the display issue must be related to the backlight being possibly better in the pro, because the new macbooks are using some of the same LCD panels as the pros, but the specific panel you get, at least in the pro, is a lottery and could be in the macbooks too (I do not know). I am just guessing there is a difference between the backlights.

Here is what Gizmodo said though:
    http://gizmodo.com/5386688/unibody-apple-macbook-review

The review on Engadget though seems to agree with my assertion that the backlights are different.
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/22/unibody-macbook-late-2009-review/

9. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Also about the unibody polycarbonate macbook there is something wrong with the base plate on them.

I saw this same thing on one at frys electronics, and it is mentioned here in the review by engadget.com.

[​IMG]

10. LoganCircle macrumors member

There is speculation that the macbook pro line will be updated in the next few weeks. You may see more differentiating the Macbook and the Macbook Pro after that update.

The details are, as always, being closely guarded by Apple, but should see something soon. Some speculate as early as tomorrow. Some speculate March 23. Others say april. A select few naysayers say June. My money is on it being within the next couple of weeks.

11. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

I would recommend to wait for new unibody MBPs

12. DFTU101 macrumors member

I think the update on the MBP will be soon but definitely after the launch of the iPad which is Apple's principal focus right now.

13. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

yes you would have to say at the moment to wait.

there will really be an increase in pound/performance ratio

if you can wait, do. if not you will still pick up a great computer either way

14. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

I have never in my lifetime wished an Apple screen could be "a little brighter"

15. supham macrumors newbie

I'd say the biggest difference is $400. I purchased a Macbook for my wife for $800 two weeks ago. We have no need for firewire or the SD card. Apple priced matched it and I picked up at our local Apple store.

s

16. SteveSparks macrumors 6502a

SteveSparks

MBP Screen is much nicer than the Macbook. I did a lot of comparing then next to each other at best buy. The 13"-17" MBP were more clear and were brighter when I had the brightness up 100%

17. cycloptic macrumors newbie

I was under the impression that the 13" macbook pro's could accomodate 8GB of RAM while the macbooks can only accept a max of 4GB. Is that so?

cycloptic

18. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

that was almost completely useless to the thread.

and i think that even now, the aluminum and keyboard are simply worth 200 dollars for me. i don't think i would fill up 160 gigs, but maybe so the MB has that going for it. with the price drop, though, i think that it would be a better deal to go for the MB since you don't care about the casing, which means a lot (20, maybe 300 dollars) to me.

19. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

20. Uchiha1911 macrumors newbie

This is because the MBP has a glass panel; which the MacBook doesn't have. It makes the colours more vibrant and makes them pop out more.
    There shouldn't be any difference in the lighting, just the colour gamut is better on the MBP.

21. wiraone macrumors member

My daughter couldn't wait any longer for the MBP update and bought an MB 13" yesterday. At least if they bump the MBP to a higher specs, she won't lose anything..

22. Uchiha1911 macrumors newbie

23. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Um no, I merely confirmed the statement that the current mb screens are alot better than earlier mb's. See the bold. What's exactly your issue?
    to some, i can see it being worth the extra 200. however, i was able to get a mb for 700, so a substantial discount