13" MacBookPro Retina, Quad Core CPU?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Luthcon Sloan, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Luthcon Sloan macrumors newbie

I am eagerly waiting for the new release of the 13" rMPB, rumored to be released in October. Several time I was short before buying the 15" model but each time I could pull myself together somehow... It is just a bit too much over my budget and actually a tad to big for me to lug around with it.

So I was wondering: Anyone cares to predict if the next 13" machines could feature a quad core CPU configuration? Maybe as a BTO option or else... Damn, all this uncertainty :confused::rolleyes:

2. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

It would be awesome if they did. I bet Apple will wait until Intel releases Haswell. The HD5000 will be more than capable of running a Retina display (not for games, obviously), and Haswell will make low energy, low heat, high performance quad cores more possible.

3. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

This sounds very logical. Although I believe with the removal of the ODD, the 13" could fit a dedicated GPU a lot easier now... Next year is too far away in my opinion.

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I want to see quad-core CPUs in the new 13'' whenever it is refreshed.

Probably not though to be honest, it will most likely be just another dual-core update.

5. duggram macrumors 6502

duggram

Why do you think that? It's one of the features that I keep teetering on. If the rMBP is going to be the same or similar to my current 2.7 13" MBP (early 2011) then I may as well get the 15" and learn to live with it. Any insight would be good. Thanks

6. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

I predict that it won't have a quad core CPU configuration. I REALLY hope I'm wrong as the lack of quad core and a separate gpu would eliminate any interest in the product for me.

7. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Sure, I'll go ahead and predict it for you:

There's likely to be a Quad Core CPU for the 13" RMBP

There ya go. Who needs horses mouths?

8. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

It's always been that way. I believe it will probably start out with a dual-core i7 this time around.

I can't see a dedicated GPU either. Trust me, I would like another feature besides a screen, but I doubt we will see it. I think the only upgrades to be had besides the Retina screen this time around would be a processor, integrated GPU, and HDD size/RPM bump.

9. jetlagged macrumors 6502

i'm definitely going to get a rMBP 13" whenever it comes out. i'm looking at the 13" MBA top of the line right now, but just playing the waiting game and being patient to see what the next macbook announcement will be.

the 15 inch rMBP, and the regular 13 inch MBP is just too big and a tad heavy for long term travel. hopefully the 13" rMBP when it comes out will fill the void.

10. duggram macrumors 6502

duggram

Thank you for the reply. My current 13" MBP is a 2.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i7, 4MB L3. What's the next step up from this?

My problem is that I don't know what fits in a small chassis. Are the quad cores that much bigger?

11. Ryukouki macrumors regular

13 inch retina would be great if it had a better GPU. :(

12. duggram macrumors 6502

duggram

When I was commuting 5 hrs twice a week on the plane the MBA was nice. My big hassle was with the superdrive. What do you do with it on the feed tray? I carry a piece of that rubbery kitchen shelf material to put on top of the superdrive and set the MBA on it. When my MBA was stolen I got the MBP. It's heavier and you can feel it, especially flying home at night at the end of the week.

The 15" rMBA is the same weight as my 13" and has more real estate. But I'm like you and want to wait it out. Of course if the mini iPad really does come out at the same time as a 13"rMBP that's just going to complicate things even more!

13. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

I will never buy a Mac that doesn't have dedicated gpu. I know they aren't made for gaming, but I still want to be able to game a little bit! I don't care about quad core cpu.

14. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

i think its more about heat dissipation that size. Also, with the current i-series, it would be very taxing to run a retina display without a dedicated graphics card. As stated though, the removal of an odd would theoretically make more than enough room for everything.

That being said, the was the current MB lineup is, the 13" is really the regular macbook in a shiny package (not that that is bad). Its geared more towards the base consumer of the apple world, not necessarily professionals.

I think that anything done to a 13" is more of a sales technique rather than a real innovation. I would love to be proven wrong by apple on that, but thats just my observation

15. Ryukouki macrumors regular

I totally agree with you there. It's more for the college student just getting into the Mac, while the people who actually do things like gaming and programming settle on the 15 inch.

16. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I should clarify that I am speaking for the base model.

The current 13'' base model is a 2.5 GHz i5, and I believe that the new base model will be an i7 with a similar clock speed. Perhaps a quad-core on the $1499, but I can't really see that. I truly hope I am wrong, but I just can't really see it. I feel like the Retina screen will be the big upgrade, and then the rest of the components will receive slight bumps, rather than revamps in architecture. I can't see them making a SSD standard either. I feel like they would lose so much versatility in their laptop line if they offer basically a 13'' version of the rMBP. I would love, personally, if they did that and then perhaps they can reintroduce the MacBook as a more consumer model with an optical drive, a large internal 7200RPM drive, a 13'' screen taking on the 1280x800 resolution (as the Retina screen 13'' will abandon that as native) with 4GB standard and a solid dual-core i5/i7 with a strong integrated chip at $999. That would never happen though because the Air has taken over that price point and has become the "entry" laptop despite having an 11'' footprint.

It's all speculation of course - who knows, maybe they will remove the optical drive this time around and work in something like a dedicated GPU. I would love to see Quad-core, I've said it before in similar topics on this forum.

17. Luthcon Sloan, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012

Luthcon Sloan thread starter macrumors newbie

Well then, thanks for the point of views here. Seems like I will continue playing the waiting game.
    Rusty but still flawlessly working Alu 20" iMac is now in its 5th year, just a bit too weak when it comes to digesting my music production projects these days now.

A quad core 13" rMPB would be perfect in terms of mobility and power-computing stuff with these nicely scaleable resolutions of the Retina display tech; what an immensely portable workstation with me planking on the couch. I would instantly shop one.

18. duggram macrumors 6502

duggram

Just got back from going to Best Buy with the wife so she could get the Squad to work on her windows laptop. Couldn't take the drama any more so I got the 2.6 rMBP with 8 GB RAM and 512 SSD. As soon as this laptop is done backing up to TM I'll install it to the new one. So, I'll be selling my '11 13" laptop. Any advice on where I should post a thread looking for advice on selling it?

OP and others, best of luck with the 13" when it gets here. I'm sure it will be nice machine.

19. Ryukouki macrumors regular

You can't exactly post here until you get a 250 post minimum and then you'll have access to the Trade Forum.

EDIT: In regards to other places, I'd suggest family, friends, Amazon, eBay (please tread carefully here) or Craigslist. With Amazon it's not that bad as you can unload it pretty quickly depending on the price you sell at. eBay is a hit or miss wild ride because you can get some very elaborate scammers. Craigslist is great if you want immediate cash, just remember to meet in a public place! :)