13" MB Pro Bag Advice Please

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ma3574, Oct 28, 2010.

1. ma3574 macrumors newbie

I've read a few of the bag recommendations on the forums and it appears that people have different needs when it comes to laptop bags so I was wondering if you would be kind enough to lend a hand to someone who's never bought a real decent bag (I'm a student so I've always gone with very cheap bags). I think it's time I bought a quality bag that will last me and that's where I hope you can help.

A quick overview: I'm a university student and wanted a bag to hold the following things:
    • 13" Unibody MacBook Pro
    • Charger for MacKook
    • Phone
    • Mifi
    • Keys
    • 2 or 3 Books
    • Pens
    • Maybe a ring binder
    • Pad of paper
    • Few little things here and there
    • Occasionally a spare shirt
    • A battery charger for phone

I like messenger bags so if I can get all the above in such a bag that would be great.

Style number 1 is preferred to style number 2 but both are fine.

Style Number 1 ->[​IMG]
    Style Number 2 ->[​IMG]

The bag will be subject to the following conditions:
    • Travel on Trains
    • Travel on Aeroplanes
    • Travel in Cars
    • Some rain (I live in England)

It would be great to have a separate compartment for the laptop. I don't mind it being a part of a larger compartment as along as it's separate from books etc.

The bag has to be durable as this is the main reason I am buying a good quality bag as I want it to last.

So far I've found it very difficult to find a bag that can meet all my needs.

Any help is greatly appreciated. If you need any more info just let me know and once again thanks for your help. :eek:

2. ma3574 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

[​IMG]
    Nixon Relay Bag

On a daily basis I carry all of this with me (and since I took that picture I have started carrying my MacBooks power adaptor with me).

Sometimes I will also put a weekend or so worth of clothing into it too, I cannot reccomend this enough.

It is comfy to wear, hard wearing (its taken two years of university with no sign of wear) and it has more than enough space for the stuff you describe.

4. iVX macrumors newbie

iVX

5. ma3574, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010

ma3574 thread starter macrumors newbie

I really like the Nixon bag. It's cheap and from your image looks like something I'm looking for.

I am curious as to what is on either side of the ink refills. Sorry to be nosy but what do you use the :apple: remote for at uni?:D

I don't know about the other bag and the materials used doesn't appear to be something I would normally buy. I do appreciate the recommendation though.

I kind of like this one: http://uk.nixonnow.com/softgoods/mens/bags/cushing-vertical-bag-C1284.html

What do you guys think?

6. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

I do a fair amount of presentations, so its useful for that, hence having the Displayport to VGA connector there too.

To the sides of the ink refills are ear protection for noisy (gig) environments, and a chapstick.

If you think you can get everything you need in that Cushing then go for it, it is a really stylish bag

7. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I've got a STM Alley bag that's never been used. Still has the tags on it. Let me know if you're interested

8. ma3574 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a good set of things to keep with you. I might have a list of things to always have in the bag with me. Thanks for the help.

I've checked it out on google and the bag looks really cool. I'm interested in buying. Would you be able to ship to the UK? Cost? Thanks in advance

Also a big thanks to everyone who's been helping me.